Merry Christmas From Fiji...


Advertisement
Fiji's flag
Oceania » Fiji
December 21st 2006
Published: December 21st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hello everyone! We hope everyone has a great Christmas and a very Happy New Year! It doesn't feel like Christmas over here yet despite seeing many Santa Claus's and with Christmas sales going on. Thsi is probably because we haven't bought any Christmas presents and because the weather is so hot!

Since writing last, we headed to Sigatoka along the Coral Coast. However when we got there it was pouring with rain. We decided to stay on and go to Deuba beach, near Pacific Harbour. It rained here too and throughout the day and even though it rains it is still very hot and humid. We then read in the guidebook and it said that this area gets three times as much rain as Nadi which explains it.

The weather the next day was a bit better and we explored the beach a couple of minutes away which was lovely and deserted. We then decided to head the coup face on and head to Suva. There were more road blocks towards Suva but again the military were very smiley and friendly. We got to the Suva and the weather was great. We went to the botanical gardens and walked along the harbour. We then bumped into a Governmant Minister of housing who was in hiding as she was a wanted woman and she was lovely.

The next day was cloudy and rainy but we went to a nearby forest which had good waterfalls. However when we came out, a man demanded we pay but we weren't going in if we had to pay and explained this to him. He then threatened to call the police so we gave in but managed to only pay the student price of 30p each.
We then went to Korotogo (a town a bit after Sigatoka) and stayed in a nice resort on the Coral Coast. We had a great walk up and down the beach and swam in the pool.

We then did an excursion into Sigatoka town the next day and we went to the Sigatoka Sand Dunes. We tried to run past the ticket booth but they stopped us and the price was too much so we thought we would try and get in another way. A kind man next to the entrance let us through his land to the sand dunes for free and the beach was phenomenal
Government House, SuvaGovernment House, SuvaGovernment House, Suva

It was very dead - not a sole to be seen.
and the weather was so hot and sunny. We then went to Sigatoka market and got more cheap bananas and saw the best sunset ever in the evening. The whole sky went bright orange it was unreal.

We then went back to Nadi the next day to a backpackers on the high street. We had a great time shopping and even took part in a Kava drinking ceremony in a handicraft shop and Bobby was the chief. Kava is Fiji's traditional drink, made from roots of a kava plant that have been powdered. It tasted like muddy water but was drinkable. Unfortunately you had to drink it twice during the ceremony. We then watched the sunset from the roof terrace which was fab.

With reference to Dad's query, although you both guessed the same amount of sausages, at least Janet and Keith named a meat and not a vegetable. Best of luck next time. We would also like to say how wonderful it was to hear from Cousin John again and you comment was fab! We think you deserve a prize for the longest comment!

We are off to the Cook island on the 23rd Decemeber and so we will be having a hot Christmas there. So we would just like to say Merry Christmas again and we hope everyone has a great time (although it will be hard without us there)!! And Ken, just because we are not there doesn't mean you can get away with not wearing all of your musical accessories from us!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



22nd December 2006

Bad One Acme
Note to Acme Scenery & Posters Ltd. Did I make a mistake by praising your efforts? I think that may well be the case. They are supposed to be in war torn Fiji and what do you supply? An actor in a 30 year old combat jacket standing next to a notice advising passers by that if they walk on the grass then they’ll get the “Comfy Sofa Treatment” (Thank you Monty P). Where is all the smoke? Bombed buildings? Wounded looters? From today’s headlines it would appear that coup leaders are snubbing tribal chiefs COME ON!! What we need is pictures of SNUBBING!! Reuters and AP photographers did a superb job of faking it in the Lebanon. Are all your artists on holiday? Bobby is paying good money for your services... GET A GRIP!! Bobby, it would appear that Acme are beginning to take advantage of your good nature, I suggest you get quotes from other scenery companies, I believe that the RSC have good contacts. Showing Peacehaven beaches through different coloured filters is not kidding anyone. Speak to one of the waitresses at your local Chinese restaurant and see if Acme can raise some kind of “local” costume for her to wear for the photographs. Your other readers will never know the difference. Sausages for Christmas dinner is it? I sometimes dream of the British banger...AAAAaaaarrrggghhh, slipped into a Homer moment there, sorry. If I didn’t mention it before, HAVE A VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS!!! Love, Cuz John.
22nd December 2006

Stunning sunsets
I'm most impressed (and jealous about not seeing) those lovely sunsets. -great desk top stuff. I won't mention the fact that these beaches too lack other human beings (as I'm getting a bit repetitive). Empty tropical island beaches and free (or very cheap) tourist places - sounds great. I'll be thinking of you suffering out there on Xmas day as we tuck into one of Pat's world famous Christmas Dinners followed by Games, games, games. Looking forward to hearing how the Cook Islanders spend Christmas - I reackon it could be the one day of the year that they go on the beaches - so check it out. Have a great time.
22nd December 2006

Christmas
Hullo dears! Thats the best sunset ever-youwont see a better -amazing. Have a lovely Xmas at Cook Is. You wont need to cook your dinner there. We shall miss you here a lot-no one todo the tree and decs and hand out the goodies. Thanks for all the exciting parcels youleft for me! Imglad its hotfor you-too awful cold foggy here. Lots love for Xmas to Bobbies.Gran
22nd December 2006

I am still alive
Hello Bobby and Bob. Yes I am still alive and very late at wishing the older Bobby a very happy Birthday. Just caught up with your blogs and it seems that you are having a great time on your extended holiday!!!! I dont buy Cuz John's idea that you havent left the UK, as even I recognise that you must have moved over the europe for some of your shots, especially the ones with the tropical trees in them. So lets just say you have gone as far way as the South of France. Happy Xmas to both of you and I too think its very good of Uncle Ken to buy you a car. Have a great New Year and I look forward to the next blog- will it be an Xmas special?????
23rd December 2006

ACME rules
Cuz John is onto something ( or he is on something ! ) When you look closely at one of those scenes you can see the Ringmer fire in the distance? Those ACME people are amazing. Why do people assume my birthday present is a car - I said it could disolve as well as rust. In fact it is beginning to disolve, burried in the deep clean white xmas snow, covered in robins, holly and carol singers. Have a great Christmas Bobbies, time to put on all my very special xmas wear given to me by my favourite neices. Ken
24th December 2006

We wish you a merry Christmas xxxxxx
Happy Christmas Bobbies!! Hope you are having a lovely day without us! We have never seen Ken wear his musical underpants on Christmas Day?? You say it is so hot - but the jeans are still on?? We haven't quite got to Christmas day here yet. We will save your presents for when you get back - perhaps we can have another Christmas Day then and your Dad can cook the dinner and put the decorations up again. Keith and Scott are cooking Christmas dinner tomorrow and Nanny and grandad wil be here. Photo request - a picture of Father Christmas. Our Father Christmas last year was a woman with a dog in her santa sack. Missing you - with love from the Jingle Benjies and Scotty.
24th December 2006

Last Journal
Just been and looked back at cousin John's last comment - wow - sets the standard for us all John!
24th December 2006

HAPPY CHRISTMAS!
Looking forward to opening my bag of xmas prezzies tomorrow, but it really won't be the same without you here:-( Have a wonderful Christmas in Raratonga. Love and big family hugs. Mumsy xxxxxxx
25th December 2006

It's Christmas Day
Hello Bobbies Just sitting down to watch Doctor Who and Coronation Street. Had a nice Christmas dinner with Nanny and Grandad. Santa was kind to us. Merry Christmas One and All. (What did you have for Christmas dinner Bobbies??) Love the favourite ones xxxx
26th December 2006

Anyone missing ??
well here we are, the whole family gathered together with Nanny and Grandad at Janets house. But wait, who is missing ??...... No, cant work it out...... Happy Day After Boxing Day, Ken & Pat Hey, hope ur havin a good christmas. How is it in the sunny cook islands? Missed all the one pound presents. Present opening was much faster this year. Hope to see u soon. The Jimmies. Yes. we've opened all your presents - vouchers included - we'll be hitting the sales tomorrow to spend them on your behalf tehe!! Love Mum and Dad xxxxxx Hope that you are having a great time over Xmas. We are all missing you especially the cheap, one pounds gifts from the bargain shop!!!! Uncle Richard. We have kept up the McAleer tradition of cheesy pototoes this Christmas - don't you miss them? We have the Partridge Family Christmas CD on the the snow is falling fast. Love the Jingle Benjies xx Well hello there sorry its been a whilst again. Well where do I start, so much goss. The big news news has to be Andrew and Laura. It was like an episode of Eastenders round ours yesterday. Between me and you there seems to be trouble in paradise. It appears Laura wants to get a pet penguin for there new house when they move in in January. Andrew is having non of it as he feels looking after it will take up far to much valuable time where he could be watching one of the 260000 DVD's he got for Xmas. There were mince pies being thrown everywhere yesterday, just ask your Dad. Not sure if they are going to reach their second anniversary as I overheard them discussing how to split the quads up. However even this has caused arguments as even though 2 and 2 would be logical, Andrew feels two kids and a penquin is far to much reponsibility. it really is family war, its amazing whats happened since you have been away. Thank you for the present, although i've forgotten what it was already. Katie says hi. She is really excited about the wedding which is in 2 weeks time. The bump is really showing now. We have also moved in to the flat 2 weeks ago which is beginning to feel like home. Anyway must crack on, will keep you posted on the Andrew and Laura stuff. da da da da da da dada da (Start of Eastenders!!) Dear Donna and Tanya, Grandad and I have given all the granchildren, including you two £200 each. Hope you enjoy spending it on your travels. Love Nanny Seaside.
27th December 2006

For Tanya
Please check you email for message about uni. mumsy x
27th December 2006

Happy Xmas from the US of A!
Hi there Bobbies, I have just had time to catch up with your latest blog and all the messages from the family, and i coudn't resist joining in. Your Uncle Rich is obviously missing me so much that he forgot to mention that i am away from him, out here in North Carolina visiting my bro! It was good to read up on all the McAleer Christmas Shenanigans, even if there was a disappointing lack of reports of the famous game of StickyOnTheHead. I just wish i could have been there. It sounds like you are having a fantastic time, and I expect that this Xmas will be one to remember. Take care and keep the blogs coming, love from Teri X
31st December 2006

Is it New Year yet?
Not sure when you are moving on and onto a different time zone, but it you are still where you were - HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!
8th January 2007

Where is the Blog?
Missing a lot in Cononation Street. On Friday Tracey ..........................

Tot: 0.178s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 16; qc: 71; dbt: 0.0831s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb