Ord River (Wednesday 11th June - Friday 13th June)


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia
June 13th 2008
Published: July 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

The turn off to Parry Creek Road is about 20kms from Wyndham, so after a few kilometres of bitumen we were back on the dirt again. Amongst the corrugations we hoped to find somewhere nice to camp, with a place to launch the tinnie and barra waiting to be caught - not too much to ask is it?

Our wishes were met, well almost! We found a great camping spot on the side of the river with a spot to launch the tinnie, great tree for a swing and wood to be collected for a fire - only thing the Ord didn’t provide was Barra!

The amount of wildlife along the Ord was amazing with hundreds of crocs, kangaroos and wallabies, lots of bird life and King Brown Snakes!! We set up the beach shelter for the girls toy room and in the morning it had a frog, gecko and praying mantis much to Ella’s delight. One afternoon a whole herd of cows came right down to our camp to check us out, was very funny as they all stood there lined up watching us. The girls were laying in their tent watching a movie and didn’t even realise that there were about 20 cows 2 metres from them!

Matt made a rope swing for the girls that was very popular, they loved swinging up high between the trees. We also enjoyed trips along the river in the tinnie creeping up on crocodiles and attempting to fish the snags for Barra. We enjoyed two nights sitting around the camp fire cooking dinner, baking cake (a very successful apple cake) and roasting marshmallows. We enjoyed the quiet and solitude of this camp site, it was amazing to have this little bit of Australia all to ourselves.

After pack up we headed for Kununurra along the dirt track, the highlight of this trek being the crossing of the Ord River, which was several hundred metres across, quite deep and flowing very fast. Luckily we made it and there was no need to evacuate out of the car windows!



Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.116s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0699s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.2mb