Red Bluff (Saturday 10th May - Tuesday 13th May)


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia
May 13th 2008
Published: May 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

After a fairly long day in the car and a 100kms of corrugations we were treated with the view of the massive bluff that is ‘Red Bluff’. As we drove in we could see the bay with its huge shore break and the barrelling waves at the tip of the Bluff. We hunted out a choice camping location and set up to the loud roar of the shore break as the sets roll through. This was a sound that we managed to get used to and sleep through as the waves continued to pound onto the sand. Just when you thought you had gotten used to it, a massive set would go through with a loud roar and we were constantly commenting on ‘that was a big one’.

The little community of Red Bluff is amazing with a few permanent families that live there as well as several local visitors and the usual camping crew such as us. We were amazed to see that there was a local store with a post box out here in the middle of nowhere! Our biggest find was that the store sold the best mango smoothies that we had ever tasted. What a treat out in the bush. We couldn’t help but treat ourselves to a couple of smoothies each day. YUM!!

I felt quite apprehensive about our stay at first as the shore break meant that it was impossible to swim without Matt there to hold the girls above the white water. However I settled into the location and enjoyed the tranquillity of the place and the wonderful atmosphere among the visitors and locals alike.

Matt loved Red Bluff and I think we would be moving there if it was possible. The waves were amazing and were constantly good, and the locals were friendly and all too happy for travellers to share their amazing spot.

I was treated to brekkie and many well crafted Mother’s Day Cards on Sunday morning for a Mother’s Day with a difference. (I think it should have been Father’s Day with all of the surf that kept rolling in.) Don’t worry will make up for it with some pampering when we get to Darwin!!

On our third day at Red Bluff we decided to explore the 4WD coastal road and visited the local’s ‘Aquarium’ Beach and enjoyed a swim and snorkel before trekking to Gnarloo Station and the beautiful Gnarloo Bay. Swimming in the calm Bay was a real treat after some trick swims at the Bluff. The girls were having a fantastic time, especially Ki and Ella who were treated to rides on Tahlia’s back as she dived and swan through the water. Our swimming sojorn came to a sudden end when the ‘Shark’ call was sounded by a nearby swimmer and we quickly headed back to shore. An easy way to get the girls out of the water!!!

Matt was up and at it for an early surf and to catch as many waves as possible before we farewelled his beloved Red Bluff. The girls and I hung out, waited, played, waited, packed up the van, waited, then finally Matt returned. We put the ‘Tintanic’ on the roof and went to purchase our last 2 smoothies before we hit the road.

We farewelled Red Bluff with a bit of sadness as it was definitely a special place. I have no doubt that it will be Matt’s goal in life to get back there. It may be worth it just for the smoothies - fantastic surf aside.

Matt's Eye View


After more than a few bone jarring corrugations we cruised over the hill to reveal Red Bluff, even from a few km’s away you could tell what a great set up it was, super protected wrapping left hand point. A quick van setup then grab a board, three waves later and I’m in love for life. The Bluff is a truly magic place, very relaxed local crew, great Mango smoothies and I could go on forever about the wave, suffice to say it is one of the best lefts I’ve had the good fortune to lay eyes on in this short life. Three days and five surfs later only reaffirmed this opinion, driving away knowing the swell was going to get better over the next few days was very hard, but it was made easier by the fact that when I returned from my final morning surf the girls had the van packed and were ready to go...they could have left me! We did manage to tour the coastal road and check out some great protected beaches and snorkelling with the girls was great, did a drive by on a little spot called Gnarloo...not bad, bit windy, back to the Bluff.




Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0457s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb