Whalebone Beach (Friday 9th May - Saturday 10th May)


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia
May 10th 2008
Published: May 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Whalebone Beach Our trusty camping guide directed us to several camping grounds just south of Denham. They are located on the southern edge of the Peron Peninsula, and the Shire of Shark Bay only allow 4 vehicles to each camp site per night. We were able to stay at Whalebone Bay and couldn’t believe our eyes when we saw how pristine this spot was. We set up our van just a few metres back from the lapping water in the calm bay. It was beautiful - definitely the location winner so far - although Tahlia thinks it would need to toilets to make it perfect.

We set up the van in record time and set up the tinnie for an afternoon on the Bay. We were hoping to catch fish for dinner but only ended up with 1 squid. A bit dismal especially as Matt went for a quick snorkel and could see hundreds of fish below. Anyway things were against us as we tried to swap from bate to lures, retrieve snags, etc. while Ki and Ella both slept and made moving around the small tinnie very difficult.

Fishing disaster aside it was lovely being out on the calm bay and we still enjoyed some tasty seafood (defrosted some Streaky Bay whiting).

Matt's Eye View


Unfortunately Shire rules stipulate a 1 night stay rule so we packed up camp the next morning ready to venture out to Red Bluff.We left the Rawson mob at Kalbarri and headed further north to Shark Bay, did the Dolphin thing at Monkey Mia and discovered one of the greatest camp sites yet at Whalebone Beach, pity there was a one night limit. We put the Tintanic in and discovered than there was just too many “shitties” for our baits to make it down to the Snapper we knew were there (I got in with goggle and snorkel and there were plenty good sized Snapper around). No matter though we got a couple of squid and defrosted some Streaky Bay whiting to make up for our frustration in the fishing department. Shame to leave Whalebone but the Bluff was calling me!






Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0306s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb