Millstream National Park to Karatha/Dampier


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Karratha
May 8th 2016
Published: May 15th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Millstream Chichester National Park to Karratha/Dampier.

Half an inch of rain overnight and things rather wet, continuing to fall. No rain has fallen in the Pilbara for
15 months.
Millstream Chichester National (240,000ha) is a landscape of rolling spinifex hills, spectacular escarpments and winding tree watercourses. A lush oasis exists around the Millstream Wetlands and Fortescue River, including palm trees.
Leaving our camp around 8am we investigated the Millstream Homestead Visitor Centre. The Homestead features rooms dedicated to the Yindjibarndi people, the early settlers and the natural environment.
A very wealthy cattle station in its prime, manicured lawns, gardens, swimming pool, tennis court and staff.
Here we met the Park Ranger who informed us if we did not leave for Karratha soon the road would be closed and we would be stuck in Millstream.
Straight back in the car with no time to lose we checked out the cliff top walk, looking over the Fortescue River, rain steadily coming down.
We then drove to the Deep Reach swimming area viewed the water close up and quickly got on the road.
The gravel road now greasy and some of the flood ways filling with water. 'Water across the road always fun,'
Forty One kilometres and we met the sealed road again, just to stop at a train crossing for a large Iron ore carrying train, 3 engines and two hundred and fifteen carriages....a long wait.
As we drove to Karratha we passed four more large iron ore trains, travelling in both directions. Collecting ore from Tom Price and delivering it to Dampier Port to go on the large ships waiting in the bay.
Arriving in Karratha around lunch time we ate our first McDonalds for the whole trip. Supermarket shopping attended we investigated Dampier and Karratha.
We stopped at the Red Dog statue in Dampier, a wandering Kelpie dog who embodied the character of the Pilbara and captured the hearts and imaginations of the town and nation in the true story of his life in the book and film.
We viewed the Rio Tinto iron ore port and salt works plus the North West Gas Plant.
Karratha is a borough spanning more than 15000 square kilometres and encircling the Woodside operated North West Shelf Venture's Karatha Gas Plant, Pluto Gas Plant and Rio Tinto's Iron Ore and Salt Operations. Karratha takes its name from the aboriginal word meaning good lands. It's a place for men who work and play hard.
We made our home for the night at the Pilbara Caravan Park where we washed the red dust off ourselves, our clothes, towels and linen.
Rain eventually stopping mid afternoon, Approximately an inch of rain for Karratha in the 12 hour period, temperature in the low 20's but humid. Billy, Kate and Ally swimming in the pool for the afternoon.
BBQ Steak, salad and cheese pasta for dinner
before bed, the older members of the family watching the 'Martian' on DVD.s



Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement



Tot: 0.194s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 15; qc: 70; dbt: 0.1326s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb