De Grey Rest Stop to Barn Hill Camp


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia
May 8th 2016
Published: May 9th 2016
Edit Blog Post

The De Grey river rises south of Callawa at the confluence of the Oakover and the Nullagine rivers and flows in a west-north-westerly direction eventually discharging into the Indian Ocean via Breaker Inlet about 80 km north-east of Port Hedland.
Its stream bed is 100 to 130 metres wide, dry throughout most of the year. The shore's land is rich in grass and fertile, featuring trees.
Up as the sun rises again and a short walk to squat and out of the corner of my eye sighted the mystery shark that the Wikicamp posts talk of. Not sure if it was a shark, but more than a metre in length, dorsal and tail fin on show.
Peter saw it also, and I was straight for the fishing rod.
Not even a bite from the jumping fish, obviously fish are not into curried left over chicken.
Mothers Day today. We were meant to be in Broome, just running a bit behind in the time schedule. Mother's Day gift and celebration on hold for Broome.
Only 1/2 a days travel today, but the least scenic of them all.
We drove through the great sandy desert along the north west coast of W.A We followed the distant coast line of the Eighty-Mile Beach, a beach some 220 kilometres in length., 1/2 way between Port Headland and Broome.
The only major stop we made was the Sand Fire Road House for fuel and toilet. It is inland, and located 20 km from the coast. The area surrounding the roadhouse is of high cultural significance to the Nyangumarta People, who hold native title over the area.
It is only one of three fuel stations (the others being Pardoo and Roebuck roadhouses) in the 610 km between those two towns. The road house has wandering peacocks and 2 of the peacocks were albino, white peacocks.
We reached the gate to Barn Hill Cattle Station Camp and travelled 9km on a very muddy, boggy track. They had three inches of rain in the past 48 hours. Three gates from the main highway we reached the beach side Cattle Station Camp.
A nice shady treed camping area with concrete and corrugated tin shed, unisex toilets and cold showers.
The amenities aside it was a nice stop. Tried fishing with Tom but no luck, Tom lost his rig twice.
Hamburgers with the lot for dinner with the leaf insects and grass hoppers and a small stray dog, who just sat and watched.
Cold shower in the dirty concrete tin shed and bed.







Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 13; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0352s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb