Karratha-Port Hedland-De Grey Rest Stop


Advertisement
Published: May 9th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Karratha- Port Hedland - De Grey Rest stop.

A slow start, reorganisation of a few things in the van, sorting washing and filling up with water.
Departing the Pilbara Caravan Park, Karratha around 9.30am and visiting the Karratha information Centre to get some idea of what sites were on the road ahead.
A diversion from the main road at the township of Roebourne, where an old goal sits to have a look at the hamlets of Wickham and Point Samson, excellent fishing here apparently. Back past the new goal of Roebourne and onto Port Hedland.
For Lunch we called into the Whim Creek Hotel, the only building in Whim Creek. Greeted by a talking corella we found a real gem here, a great spot, stone bar, cafe, green lawn garden, swimming pool and out door billiard/pool tables. We even had an encounter with the entire Port Hedland Bull Dog AFL footy team getting off a bus on their way to play a game.
Early afternoon and we arrive Port Hedland and take in the enormous Roy Hill Port Iron Ore Mining production.
The horizon is lined with hulking cargo ships, car dumpers,bucket wheel reclaimer and kms of train carriages. We are passed by road train after road train, each with 4 dumpers and presume they are hauling manganese to the port. BHP Billiton control the ore production here, whilst Rio Tinto mine and export salt.
Port Hedland is known as the largest bulk-export port, here colossal loaders dump tonnes upon tonnes of ore onto enormous ships across eight berths from the biggest open cut iron ore mines anywhere.
In the town things are quiet, even the tourist information centre is closed.
Our impression of Port Hedland not a good one, a dirty town with no heart.
At the Don Rhodes Train Museum we purchase an Indian curry dinner from a sales van.
Happily leaving Port Hedland we travel north to our camp, De Grey rest area down by the De Grey River. The River more of a deep pool of water above the surface. We camp right on the bank.
Tom trying his hand at fishing, bread as bait, no luck.
A great camp spot, shady and not many insects.






Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.178s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 14; qc: 71; dbt: 0.0765s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb