Karijini to Millstream Chichester National Park


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Karijini
May 5th 2016
Published: May 6th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Small shower of rain overnight and we were awoken around 5.30am by a feral cat and a dingo, less than 50 meters from our van.
With the dingo howling and the cat growling very close Tom opted to get out of his swag and come inside to sleep on the lounge, nervous!
All awoken by the commotion we got up and had breakfast and packed up early.
We drove 60km to Hancock Gorge our first stop on our way out of Karijini National Park.
Hancock Gorge is a Level 5 walk, steep incline of natural steps and 2 ladders to get to the bottom of the giant chasm, with lots of slippery walking and swimming through water, plus climbing.of rocks.
There are three main sections to the gorge, the 'amphitheatre', 'spider walk' and 'Kermit Pool'.
We followed the stream until we had to enter it, water approximately 2 meters deep in some areas and we had to swim a little.
Making it to the amphitheatre', we acknowledged the concave large walls and layered rocks like seating, of course we tried out our voices.
Pushing on we climbed the 'spider walk' where the large walls narrowed and we found ourselves clinging to the walls over a stream.
At the end of this was 'Kermit Pool' named obviously because of it's clear green colour. A refreshing swim and back up we went, retracing our steps.
A quick dry and change of clothing and we were back on the road again.
Next was a fuel stop in Tom Price and then onto the 243km of main gravel road towards Karratha.
Finally leaving Karijini National Park as we checked out Hamersley Gorge. Looking out over the lookout at the steady trickling waterfall. The gorge unique in the wavy shaped layered rock face.
The gravel road to Karratha slowing us down a little. It was freshly maintained in some sections, badly corrugated and dangerously stony in other sections. Evidence along the road side of all the vehicle tyres that had come to grief.
The odd herd of cattle on the roadside keeping us on our toes also.
Our children bored of the small desert shrub like scenery watched the DVDs most of the way.
As the sun went down we approached Millstream Chichester National Park and pulled into the Homestead Camp Ground.
Using the camp kitchen we ate the corn beef and vegetables cooked in the dream pot all day and used the camps solar hot water system to do the dishes.
A quick wash and into bed. No caution of dingos here just feral cattle.



Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 13; qc: 71; dbt: 0.0821s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb