.


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Geraldton
July 29th 2016
Published: June 13th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -28.7731, 114.611

Up early again for the dolphin feed but the kids weren't selected to feed them this time but as they both said at "least we've feed them" after a while when the kids had said bye to their friend, the dolphins, and pelicans we left making our way back South to Geraldton which is half way between monkey Mia and Perth. On route we stopped at Eagle Bluff Lookout which features a spectacularly high cliff and a great board walk that overlooks the Denham Sound near Shark Bay from which you can peer down and watch sharks, rays, & Dugong if you lucky. On our last visit in high Summer we saw nothing and shredded the cars rear tyre on the rutted road getting back. This time we were a little luckier Shell spotted a shark a way out and that was about it still no rays which I really wanted to see but at least we got back to the main road safely.

Our next stop was Shell Beach which covers a 110 km long stretch of coast along the L'Haridon Bight, The beach was named "Shell Beach" because of the great abundance of small cockle shells and is one of only two beaches in the world made entirely from shells, which typically reach a depth of 7 to 10 metres.The kids were fascinated by it, the water's really shallow and for the time of year was reasonably warm; I was really surprised to see so many people there especially as this is Winter. After a brief rest and a paddle we continued on our way making good time as I particularly wanted to see Geraldton's HMAS Sydney II Memorial in both daylight as well as at night.

We checked in to our apartment, had a quick freshen up and made our way to the memorial just a tad later than I wanted but we did just manage to see it in the fading day light just before the memorial was lit up, it makes a wonderful sight and is well looked after with no signs of graffiti or rubbish.




Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.146s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.053s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb