Fish and crabs


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Busselton
October 5th 2011
Published: October 5th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Fish. Today was a fish day. This morning, after a leisurely breakfast, we went for a long walk along an even longer jetty. It was interesting to stop along the way to see what all the fisher people had caught. We were costed by a group of boys wanting to sell us some of their crabs. They were being offered to us at $2.50 each, which we declined. Frank said he would pay one dollar each, which the boys accepted, saying that if we bought ten, we could have twelve. What a salesman! We left the jetty without any. Apparently it is illegal for them to be selling crabs, because that would make them commercial fisherman. You live and learn.
Further along we chatted with a woman and her elderly father. They were catching garfish and jigging for squid. They had caught five of each so far. We watched for a while with envy. She would throw a line in and bring out a fish. Amazing. Why doesn’t it work that way for us? Next we came across a group of men who have caught skip jack or skippies. More successful fishermen!
The under water observatory had just started a tour, and it was too late too wait around for the next one so we meandered back to the car, with Frank telling all the would-be fisherman where to go and what to catch. I am sure the people we had chatted to would be delighted when they got invaded by prospective anglers.
We stopped to see a boy catch a decent size fish and his father prepare to throw it back. When asked why they weren’t keeping it, the father replied that they “don’t eat fish, they just like catching them.” What is the point? Why risk injury to the fish for no good reason. Surely, if they weren’t going to eat it, they could give it to somebody who would.
After lunch, we went out into Geographe Bay with Richard and his friend John, in Johns boat. It threatened to rain, was a bit windy, making it a bit choppy, but I for one had a good time. We went out after whiting, and I caught two good size King George whiting and three fish, which were thrown back. Finally there was some success in the fishing department. For me there was success, for Frank there was more disappointment. Tomorrow morning, we will be joining the kids on the jetty with some borrowed crab nets and the skeletons of the whiting to try an catch some crabs.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0598s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb