Wineries, kamikaze kangaroos and cocktails.


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Busselton
October 4th 2011
Published: October 4th 2011
Edit Blog Post

The Margaret River region, south of Busselton is renowned for its wineries and coastal scenery. Today, with Christine and Richard as our tour guides, we went for a tour of the very expensive holiday homes in the coastal hamlets, spectacular coastline and several of the better-known wineries.

At Saracen Winery and Duckstein Brewery, the boys tasted the brewed product, while Christine and I couldn’t resist the temptation of coffee and a shared piece of lime and tequila tart. Yummy. We are thinking we might go back for lunch in the next couple of days.

Voyager Winery is something else. Built in 2001, in Cape Dutch style, Voyager has spectacular landscaped gardens with manicured lawns and beautiful rose gardens. We didn’t sample the wines because we were there late in the day, but I do recommend it to anybody who lives in Perth and environs or is planning a trip to the area.

Leeuin Estate Winery has its own charm, built in a natural landscape, featuring an amphitheatre, the venue for concerts by international artists. I imagine sitting on the lawns with a picnic, listening to your favourite artist would be a very special experience.

As expected at this time of the year, there was no shortage of wildflowers. Sadly, the aram lillies which look very pretty, have become weeds, taking over a large portion of the landscape. We avoided a few kamikaze kangaroos on the trip home, as dusk approached.

We are going to have dinner with our hosts now and another new experience, my first brandy alexander cocktail.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 58; dbt: 0.054s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb