Purnululu NP/Bungle Bungles, WA


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Bungle Bungles
August 10th 2019
Published: August 10th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Visiting Purnululu was one of the main stops that we were looking forward to on this trip. We drove on from Fitzroy Crossing, stopping briefly for fuel in Halls Creek. After much to-ing and fro-ing we decided to camp at a caravan park (Mabel Downs) rather than one of the free camps so we’d feel a little better leaving our gear when we headed down the 50km track into the NP.

In the end, Di and Tony were again kind enough to look after the (now) four dogs - Bella and Bailey, Jack and Kimberley - while the rest of us went in for a look. In short, it was pretty damn cool. We did some walks in the South end first including the Domes, Cathedral and Piccininny lookout. They were as picturesque as the professional photos suggest. The natural amphitheatre at the Cathedral was quite incredible. To see it in the wet season would be something else, so we’ll be back again one day for a look.

In the arvo we headed to the North and did a couple of other walks - one into a massive (no, really) chasm that went up 200m, called Echidna Chasm. Quite tight in spots but otherwise equally as impressive as anything we have seen. Had to walk up a creek bed of rocks to get there, which was a bit of a challenge but not too much for the grey-haired folk that were on the tours, as they passed us on the way back down.

Late in the afternoon Suz, Di and Jen went for a chopper ride back down to the NP for a look. They said it was great and the photos backed up the claim. Suz and Di had the doors off in the back and Suz’d sinus’ let go as they were flying around. The results were very funny but, alas, we have no photographic evidence of snot flying all over the place.

The late arvo and evening were taken up with cooking a few meals for future nights. We are driving hard down the Tanami tomorrow before hitting the Alice and up to the Hay River track.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.164s; Tpl: 0.037s; cc: 9; qc: 43; dbt: 0.096s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb