RAAF Boab Quarry (40km WNW of Fitzroy Crossing), WA


Advertisement
Published: August 10th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Not much to report for today (Sunday). Got up from our park in Broome, packed stuff away and headed down the bitumen highway toward Fitzroy Crossing. The landscape was not overly spectacular and the drive was interrupted by a stack of roadworks so the 400 km drive took a bit over five hours.

We spotted a free camp in our camp books up the road towards Tunnel Creek (the other end from a week or so previous). The books gave us a bum steer but we ended up accidentally finding it. A great little spot, that we had to ourselves, that included a bunch of Boabs and Gums in a sort of valley surrounded by beautiful, mini-gorges. I hope the photos do it justice.

Next morning, my family and Di did a cruise in the Geikie Gorge, behind Fitzroy Crossing. It was really cool. The guide was a funny and knowledgeable bloke that pointed out all of the birds, trees, crocs and other wildlife. At home I don’t think I’d take any notice of birds and trees but when you are relaxed and otherwise unoccupied it is quite interesting - never thought I’d be saying that! It was a great cruise with a lot of evidence of the problems associated with the low rainfall further North.

We aren’t able to spend as much time here as we’d like so we will be up this way again and we’ll spend more time around Fitzroy Crossing/Halls Creek.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 40; dbt: 0.0495s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb