Commodore Camp, WA (Tanami Track)


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia
August 10th 2019
Published: August 10th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Today was all about driving. We have all wanted to do the Tanami track - just because. Not much on it but it is an iconic 1,000 km odd stretch of road in Australia.

First stop was back in Halls Creek for lots if fuel, including the jerry cans, and a pie. From there it was straight to the Tanami. Approximately 100 km down the track is the Wolf Creek Meteorite Crater. That was pretty cool. Not quite to the scale of Wilpena Pound but still impressive. At the top of the crater was a fella called Benji. He had just finished riding a motorbike across all ten of Australia’s deserts in Guinness Record time! He plans to circumnavigate Tasmania on a jet ski next year as his next adventure.

On the way out we passed some old buildings that may or may not have been the set for the Wolf Creek film. It was fun scaring every one that hadn’t seen the movie, but really I expect that these buildings had bugger all to do with the film. Although on the inside of a falling down shed there were many tributes to Mick Taylor so who really knows…

We have ended up at a free camp called ‘Commodores Camp’ (near the Balgo community) which we thought may have had some nautical theme but no, it was due to the two burnt out Holden Commodore wrecks at the entrance! It has given us a good topic for around the campfire at least - all of our car stories.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0291s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb