5 weeks away from home and only about halfway done


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Bunbury » Bunbury
July 10th 2009
Published: July 10th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Is it a turkey or a camel??Is it a turkey or a camel??Is it a turkey or a camel??

A formation in the Jewel Caves that resembles some believe a turkey while others believe its a camel. I myself think it resembles a turkey.
After leaving Augusta we traveled along Caves Road towards Margaret River. Along this road and around this region are over 200 caves hidden within the Limestone ridge, thus the name Caves Road. We stopped at Jewel Cave and did a tour. The cave once had an underground lake and the water and made the formations appear to glitter like jewels. The cave last had water in it around 9 years ago.

The day was very rainy so we decided to go as far as Margaret River and stay there the night. Around Margaret River is beautiful country with wineries everywhere, green rolling hills with cows. I really liked the country but the town didn't overly impress me.

The next morning we did the touristy thing and went to a cheese factory where we all tried some cheeses and yoghurt. Nathan and I bought some baked ricotta which we haven't had yet. We then went to the Margaret River Chocolate factory where we tried some chocolate and browsed the shop there. After that we went to a winery where I tried a couple of the wines.

We kept driving north towards the tip of the cape called Cape Naturaliste.
Busselton JettyBusselton JettyBusselton Jetty

The Jetty is around 1.8km's long the longest in Australia, but is closed until next year for renovations.
We decided (after the young guy in the museum at the Lighthouse told us of a good short walk to see the lighthouse up pretty close) to do the short walk. Not far into the walk we could see rain was on its way and also that the short 10 minute walk was definitely going to take us a bit longer than that lol. We did make it back pretty dry though so that was good but did not get close to the lighthouse once, oh well.

After a long day we pulled into Busselton in the afternoon and stayed in a nice caravan park. That night we went to the Busselton Drive in theatre which is one of a only a few left in Australia. It has been heritage listed, so a great bit of history can not be shut down. We saw 2 movies (This drive in has always shown 2 movies for the one admission price since its open in the 1960's.) Night at the Museum 2 and X-men Origins - Wolverine. I enjoyed both movies and thought it was great to experience something I had not done in many many years. It was Nathan's first
Fun ParkFun ParkFun Park

The largest free fun park for kids in Australia.
time at a Drive in and I think he enjoyed it too.

The next day after lots of rain during the night hung around the caravan park for a bit, I baked a cake and nathan went to find some car part shops. We then jumped and played for a bit on the jumping pillow in the park, sooo much fun and great exercise lol. We ended up staying 2 nights at Busselton.

The next morning we set off again and traveled through alot of dairy country. We stopped at an old goldmine that is now an orchard and cider factory in Donnybrook. There was some information about the old goldmine, an aquafarm and some cider tasting. We decided to buy some apple and cinnamon juice which was quite nice.

We had lunch in Donnybrook where it has the largest free fun park for kids in Australia. The kids loved it!!

We then traveled on to Bunbury where we are now. We are staying 2 nights here so we can see all there is to see. Last night Sonia, Courtney and I went shopping which was great, its jut not the same shopping with Nathan lol.

Last night it rained all night and was fairly windy. Today has been a bit nicer but still rainy on and off. We set off this morning in hope of seeing dolphins up close at the Dolphin discovery centre but they were out feeding in the bay and not close to shore as yet, so we looked afound the displays and watched a dvd then set off again. We went out to Collie which is a coal mining town that still has an operating mine. We saw some of the local attactions including a dam wall, an old train station that had a miniature train set that is modeled on the town of Collie in the late 1800's. We also went into a replica underground coal mine. The tour guide was a lovely man who had been a miner his whole life from the age of 14 till his retirement. He was able to give alot of information and stories of his experiences being a miner and what it was like to work under ground.
This afternoon we came back to Bunbury and did some sight seeing here. We saw the light house, and climbed the rotory tower which gave some views of the area and drove out to the old jetty. We finally got to see some dolphins.
Tomorrow we will head off towards Freemantle and Perth.



Advertisement



11th July 2009

Thanks Lucy :) Yes we are still with the Flemings for another week yet. Tell Jord I will say hello to the boys tomorrow morning for him. Hope you guys have been well, we miss everyone too but are having a great time. See you in about 5 weeks all being well.
12th July 2009

Hey Tania, Yes Nathan sooo wants to try a Maron, but we haven't been able to find any as yet, he's hoping to get one at the seafood markets today in Fremantle. Have a good week :)
12th July 2009

Hee Hee
Thanks Danni. I just expanded your previous blogs and was having a more thorough look at them. I had to laugh at Nathan in the thermal pools - I can just imagine it. I love the proverbs at the end of some of your blogs. They are still so true and practical today aren't they? Weather is quite cool & brisk here - which I love, being a redhead with fair skin, however some people with asthma and hayfever don't cope so well. Met Chelsea Kate at church this morning - she is gorgeous. I had to pry her away from Bianca who is loving having a baby around again. Keep safe and having fun and see you when you get back. Love, Lucy

Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0469s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb