A beautiful and clean Capital City ....... Thats very unusual.


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Perth » Swan Valley
July 16th 2009
Published: July 16th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Little VeniceLittle VeniceLittle Venice

On a canal cruise in Mandurah. This area is called Little Venice because of the little bridges over the canals.
After leaving Bunbury we traveled towards Fremantle/Perth, stopping on the way at Mandurah. Mandurah is similar to Sunshine Coast. They have built lots of canals and the very rich have built their mansions and their elaborate apartment blocks on the canals. There was one really huge mansion that was built by a millionaire for his holiday house a number of years ago, but has only stayed in it for a total of 2 weeks, some people just have way too much money lol. Along the beginning of the canals is some very small very old cottages that are worth about 1.6 mil each. We went on a dolphin/canal cruise that took us through the canals and through the new area called little Venice because it had little tiny bridges over the canal. We were lucky it was a little boat we went on as the bigger boats cannot go down the canals of little Venice. We then had lunch in park beside a canal.

Then on we went till we arrived in Fremantle but decided to travel on to Perth and station ourselves there for 5 nights and travel back to Fremantle to see things. On the Sunday morning we
The GallowsThe GallowsThe Gallows

The Gallows that was last used in the 1960's in the Fremantle Prison.
got up to a beautiful sunny day and drove to Fremantle to the markets. We went to 2 different markets where we looked around, taste tested nuts, fruit and lollies. We bought the guys some double plugger thongs for $4 a pair, but thats all, so I did well for shopping in the not breaking the bank department lol. We had lunch in the Fishing Boat Harbour at a place called sweet lips, Nathan and the Flemings all thought their fish was nice.

The next day was beautiful again and we caught a train to Fremantle and then went to the Fremantle Prison. The prison was closed in 1991 due to it being deemed unsanitary because there were no toilets in the cells only tin buckets. The prison was built in 1850 by convicts, who then moved in after they had finished. It is a very large stone building with bars on the windows and razor wire on top of the walls. Razor wire we learned is illegal in all other states except for WA, if you climbed the wall the razor wire would collapse on you, and there would be not much left of you. Our tour guide
The Wheel of PerthThe Wheel of PerthThe Wheel of Perth

The Wheel of Perth with Perth City in the background.
told us many stories and gave us lots of information in a very gruff manor (sounding like he was a prison warden). The cell blocks each had their own out door area that consisted of cement on the ground, 4 cement walls with razor wire on top, one toilet, one urinal out in the open, and picnic benches in the centre and they were lucky enough to get a car port thingy built to provide shade and protection from rain in the 1960's. The convicts spent all day out there from after breakfast till tea time every da, except for those that had a job in the prison. Underneath the prison is klm's of tunnels that Nathan, Peter, Sonia, Jamin and Mitch went and toured. The little kids were not allowed on the tour so I offered to stay with them. I took Courtney and Ethan to the beach and we had lunch at Hungry Jacks. Those on the tour enjoyed it. They dressed up in protective gear, climbed down a 20 metre ladder and then walked and boated through the Underground tunnels.

The next day we did the tourist thing around Perth. We caught a train from East
SubmarineSubmarineSubmarine

A Submarine that we had a tour through at the Fremantle Maritime Museum.
Guildford (where we are staying) into the city. Perth is lovely and clean, which I think is very unusual for a capital city. We got onto a cat bus (which both Perth and Fremantle offer to all people for free) and went to the WA Mint. The Mint was very interesting, we heard from a tour guide about how and why the mint was established and what it is used for today. We watched a man pour some gold to make a gold bar.
After the Mint we got on another bus and headed for the Swan River Ferry terminal. Here we went on the Wheel of Perth which is large Ferris wheel (40 metres high). Each carriage was enclosed in glass and had its own air conditioning. We got to see all over the city and the river, it was very scenic. We also went on Ferry across the river to South Perth, but stayed on and returned. It was a good day and we we got to see alot of Perth through buses, trains and walking.

Yesterday we caught a train again to Fremantle to visit the Maritime Museum. The museum is relatively new but has lots of information about Perths maritime history. We got to go on a submarine that was used by the Navy. In the afternoon we went to look at caravans at Avans and Jayco. If you had alot of money there is certainly some nice vans around lol.

Last night we had a combined tea with the Flemings in celebration of a great holiday and then we watch NSW beat QLD lol. I was the only happy one at the end of the night! This morning we are heading for Hyden and Wave rock and tomorrow we will head down to Lake Camm to see some of Nathan's family and the Flemings will travel on to Kalgoorlie before heading home. It has been a great 4 weeks spent with them, so thanks Peter, Sonia and kids for letting us tag along 😊.

Nathans proverb of the day: He who pursues righteousnessness and love, finds life, prosperity and honour. Proverbs 21 verse 21



Advertisement



Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 12; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0435s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb