West Coast


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Augusta
July 6th 2009
Published: July 6th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We are in Augusta the most South Western town in Australia, its about 30k south of Margaret River. The last 3 days have been beautiful, warm and sunshine but this morning we have woken up to the wind and rain again.

We have been traveling through big tree country since we left Albany, passing through Denmark, Walpole and Pemberton. Many of the trees are over 400 years old and huge. The trees were mostly tingles and Karri trees which are both eucalypt trees. The Tingles as they get older get really large at the base of the trunk and then with bush fire damage causes them to hollow out, but the tree stays living. Some of the hollowed out trunks are huge and many people can stand inside.

Near Denmark we went to an Alpaca Stud and animal farm. The Alpaca's were very friendly and eagerly waited for us to feed them. One of the Alpaca's was light brown and had very fuzzy long hair, Jamin and I were feeding it laughing and discussing how funny it looked, when Jamin touched the wool on its side, it kicked it back leg out sideways to kick him. It looked so
Alpaca StudAlpaca StudAlpaca Stud

Very friendly goats and calves at the Alpaca stud and farm.
funny, we both couldn't stop laughing for ages. There was also goats, baby cows, sheep, guinea pigs, rabbits to feed and were all very friendly. We went down to some sheep in the back paddock and when they saw us coming down the lane they started running towards us, with the big ram in the lead. We fed them for a bit, one of the sheep (a black one) was a bit grumpy and she head butted little Ethan for no reason, he was ok just winded him a bit.

Near Walpole we went on the Tree Top Walk, which is a walk way made from metal that is high up in the trees, I think the highest point was about 40 metres high. The part you walked on was like a grate and you could see through it, very scary for people like me who are afraid of heights (But I did it!)

After the tree top walk we found Nathan had locked his keys in the car for the second time this trip, luckily the guys are getting quick with breaking in lol. We camped in a free camping spot along the Valley of the Giants
Gloucester TreeGloucester TreeGloucester Tree

Nathan and Sonia in the background up top of the 61 metre high tree they just climbed.
Road amongst the tall trees, was very beautiful.

The next morning we headed into Walpole and saw the huge Tingle Tree. We then headed to Pemberton where we went on a tram ride into the Forest. The tram driver/tour guide was quite informative about the local trees and fauna. We learned what a snottygobble is..........Do any of you know what it is??

After the tram ride we went to the Gloucester Tree, which is a tall Karri tree that was once used as a lookout for bushfires. People used to climb pegs on the tree to the top where a platform and caged area was built. The trees still have the pegs and now a better platform and cage but is now a tourist attraction for people to climb. We were really surprised with todays health and safety rules that it was still allowed, but that didn't stop Nathan, Sonia and Jamin climbing to the top with Peter and I thinking they were crazy lol.

We camped that night just outside of Pemperton at a free camping spot that was once an old saw pit. We had a nice fire and we ate our tea around it.
Gloucester TreeGloucester TreeGloucester Tree

Nathan starting to climb the pegs up the tree.


After Pemberton we headed for Augusta via Manjimup ( One thing we have found here there is many many place names ending in up. Take a look of a WA map of the South west sometime).

Augusta is really pretty with the town built on a river mouth. It is the most south western town in Australia. After setting up in the caravan park we got on our bikes and road along the bike path to see the ocean. We saw a pod of dolphins close to the shore, we think they were fishing as they seemed to be moving quite erratically at times. We then rode towards the main part of the town and Nathan and I met some people who had been out fishing in a boat. The men were cleaning the fish and the wives sipping wine watching lol (I know which one I would prefer to be doing!) They gave us some whiting to cook for tea, even giving us more once the Flemings turned up and they realised we were all together. So tea that night was fresh whiting done in bread crumbs and chips (I just had chips as I don't eat fish).

During the night the wind and rain started.

Until next time....

Advertisement



Tot: 0.158s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 53; dbt: 0.1143s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb