80 Mile Beach (Sunday 25th May - Tuesday 27th May)


Advertisement
Published: May 29th 2008
Edit Blog Post

As we pulled into 80 Mile Beach Caravan Park I felt quite sceptical. It looked very red and dusty. It turned out to be a great place with friendly staff and a peaceful atmosphere with no driving between 7pm and 7am permitted. Some residents live there permanently and they even have Sunday morning markets. It was amazing to have power and water in the middle of nowhere.

We were keen to check out this sandy stretch of coast. As we walked over the sand dunes to the beach we were met with the site of fishermen lining the shore as far as the eye can see. The fishing must be good!!

The girls and I enjoyed swimming in the turquoise water (avoiding fishing lines) and collecting shells from the thousands that line the shore.

Our hunter gatherer Matt was hard at work, hooking up some blue salmon for a tasty dinner and extra supplies for the freezer as well.


Matt’s Eye View



With a freezer full of Trevally we continued just up the road (150km) to 80 Mile beach Caravan Park, complete with palm trees, grass, water and as Ella would say eeelectrisssity. With a hundred odd caravans full of keen fishos all chasing the “King Threadfin Salmon”, it was shoulder-to-shoulder fishing on the beach around high tide, quite a spectacle really. I did see one massive Salmon dance across the water and eventually come to the beach, weighing in at 27 pounds and well over a meter, that was a good fish, but where would I have put it? We did catch a few much smaller Blue Salmon and just managed to squeeze them into the van freezer plus feed ourselves for a few days.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



29th May 2008

Travels thus far...
Having read your blog to date, sounds like a trip to remember, certainly one for the rest of us to be rather jealous of! Hope the rest of your travels continue as well, look forward to seeing the next update. Saul

Tot: 0.138s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0762s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb