Great Ocean Road Day 13. Sorrento


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria
February 17th 2020
Published: February 17th 2020
Edit Blog Post

Hesse StreetHesse StreetHesse Street

Queenscliff
GOR Day 13 Sorrento
Again, proper Ozzie weather to wake up to at 5.45am jumping in the only male bathroom before the hordes appeared. Then back to bed for an hour with the horizon a nice red colour. Since I could only find cafes for breakfast opening at 9am we had an 8.15 gathering to head for the ferry and planned to eat in Sorrento. We found a cafe at the ferry which opened at 7am and could have accommodated us but made do with a brew of tea or coffee. Nice crossing on a sunny morning before a slow breakfast in Sorrento, as planned, and a sandwich bought for our lunch. The Sorrento Beach Motel (with no beach) was ready for us at 11am so we dropped off our bags and explored Nepean Point. It could not have been a better day with a clear blue sky and 24 degrees. The sea was turquoise (until I took of my sunglasses) and the air as clear as you can find. The beaches are sandy and rocky with loads of character and the point has loads of history. One such story is the loss of the Prime Minister, Harold Holt, in 1967 whilst out swimming in a beautiful yet dangerous part of the coast. Apparently it was used by the armed forces as a defensive position for Port Philip, Geelong and Melbourne and everything inside the large bay since 1880’s. The large 10” guns were fired in ernest once during each of the two world wars to prevent ships leaving and entering. Following the 2nd World War it was used as a training base until 1998 and then opened to the public. Unfortunately the wildlife must have been asleep since we only saw sparrows and some gannets diving in the sea. Gee it’s hot out here as I write this, when is the rain due? Tomorrow? Oh yes! Rain all day so get out your capes.




Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

NepeanNepean
Nepean

Sorrento



Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 24; dbt: 0.05s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb