A Canadian in Australia - thirty days. Day 14. The Crags, Norman Wade Scenic Drive, Portland, Cape Nelson Lighthouse, and Sea Cliff Nature Walk


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Portland
March 12th 2019
Published: March 12th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Today I am en route to the Cape Nelson Lighthouse just past Portland. First stop was a scenic lookout - The Crags with the rocks and ocean waves in full force. The lighthouse will be a unique experience for me as I am staying two days at the Caretakers Cottage on the grounds. On the way one passes a scenic route with a number of lookouts. I stopped of course to have a look at most - rugged coastlines this part of the world. The route takes you direct to the lighthouse so upon arrival I walked around a bit and viewed the coastline - rugged with the ocean not in a good mood. I then tried one of the walks in the area - Sea Cliff Nature Walk. Perhaps about three km in length, it passes through forest/scrubland until it hits the cliffs at the ocean where you see the dramatic coastline. All in all about an hour. Since the lighthouse is quite remote, I drove to town, had supper, then returned to the cottage for the night. The cottage is quite nice with 50 inch TV, DVD player, full kitchen and two bedrooms. They even provide breakfast - six eggs in the fridge, a piece of ham and bread for toast; if you want to make it yourself. Im used to the flat whites now!


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Macs HotelMacs Hotel
Macs Hotel

Portland
WarningWarning
Warning

Not seen one yet


16th March 2019
A memorial at The Crags

Nice monument, i read that 4 men died at that place during WWII, and thei families knew about it 8 months later. Airplane is still in the ocean.
16th March 2019
Macs Hotel

In good shape for being build in 1856, interesting place.
16th March 2019
Cape Nelson Lighthouse

Supposed to be a whale watching place, did you see any?
16th March 2019
The Angriest!

Certainly not inviting for swimming or boating
16th March 2019
The Angriest!

The sea was angry that day my friend!

Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 36; dbt: 0.0769s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb