Monday Nov 6, 2017


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne
November 8th 2017
Published: November 8th 2017
Edit Blog Post

HeronswoodHeronswoodHeronswood

Beautiful gardens overlook Port Phillip Bay.
Erwin with Amelie and Miro take us today to explore the Mornington Peninsula. The 1960's musical group The Seekers are from this area and my guess is that their song Morningtown Ride was named after the area. Heronswood is a beautiful location on the side of the hill overlooking the Port Phillip Bay. Gorgeous gardens and a well maintained old building where we stop for coffee and ginger beer.

Arthur’s Seat is a mountain that presents some great views of the Bay. We sampled some very nice wines at the Montalto Vineyard and local beer at the Red Hill Brewery, as well as some tasty pulled pork, lamb and beef.

We got some exercise also. Hikes on the Cape Schanck Track (trail) and to Point Nepean at The Rip, the very narrow and treacherous mouth to Port Phillip Bay and Melbourne Harbour.

We finished the day off with a very generous provision of food at the Doreleijers house in Franktown. Thanks Erwin, Melanie, Amelie and Miro!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

HeronswoodHeronswood
Heronswood

An old estate now serving tea and other refreshments.
Arthur’s SeatArthur’s Seat
Arthur’s Seat

Lonely tree.
Montalto VineyardMontalto Vineyard
Montalto Vineyard

One of the numerous vineyards in the area.
Red Hill BreweryRed Hill Brewery
Red Hill Brewery

Locally brewed beer and smoked pulled pork, lamb and beef.
Cape SchanckCape Schanck
Cape Schanck

Well worth the long walk going down.
Arthur's SeatArthur's Seat
Arthur's Seat

Light shining through the clouds plays onto the scene.
Point NepeanPoint Nepean
Point Nepean

A very narrow strip of beach.
Point NepeanPoint Nepean
Point Nepean

Beautiful sand dunes.
Point NepeanPoint Nepean
Point Nepean

Somewhere near here an Australian Prime Minister disappeared while swimming back in the early seventies (?). Lots of intrigue, including alleged kidnapping by Chinese submarine.
Point NepeanPoint Nepean
Point Nepean

Beach scene.
Point NepeanPoint Nepean
Point Nepean

Fortifications built many years ago to protect Melbourne from any potential Russian invasion. From here, the first shots were fired by Australia on enemy ships in both First and Second World Wars.


Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 24; dbt: 0.03s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb