Tuesday Nov 7 2017


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne
November 9th 2017
Published: November 9th 2017
Edit Blog Post

The Royal Exhibition BuildingThe Royal Exhibition BuildingThe Royal Exhibition Building

The last building of its kind.
Ferdy is not much interested in big cities. Can Melbourne, with a population of 4 million plus, be an exception? Certainly the impressive skyscrapers, highway architecture, interesting cityscapes and shopping arcades all try hard to make it impressive. The use of trams cause it to have less downtown car traffic than Ottawa. And, this being Melbourne Cup Day, a Victoria State holiday, creates a level of excitement. Many folk dress up in period dresses, tuxedos and hats, and many will end up drunk and unruly by the end of the day. Seeing a friendly demonstration to celebrate the 8-hour work day initiated here in 1856, and chatting with some of the participants, was cool. Cool, very cool indeed, was the weather, unseasonably cold (about 14C) and rain for Melbourne, good thing we actually brought our rain jackets!

The Melbourne Museum is impressive but we were mostly interested in seeing the sections on the history of Melbourne, Aboriginee history, and of course the exhibit on Phar Lap, the most famous race horse from Australia and beloved previous Melbourne Cup winner. We had booked a tour for the Royal Exhibition Building (REB) next door, but it had to be cancelled due to exams being conducted for the university. It looked to us that as much as 80% of the students were of Asian descent.

We embark on the free tram that circles the business district (all trams are free within that area) making a brief stop at the Parliament before carrying on to Federation Square. From there we begin our walk all the way back to our hotel, through very interesting arcades with many small shops and cafes. Got a great deal on UGG slippers, according to Marion at about 1/3 of the cost in Canada!

We had intended to have dinner at the Union Club Hotel, the local pub from the Australian Netflix series Offspring, but we’re convinced by the host of one of the Italian restaurants on Lygon Street to stop there. The chicken schnitzels we had were enormous, too much to finish, and got a free glass of wine thrown in. Result: we ended up too tired and went to bed once we got back to our hotel. Not having seen the Offspring pub is now disappointing for Marion.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Free tram loopFree tram loop
Free tram loop

A quick stop for a photo opportunity.
Downtown MelbourneDowntown Melbourne
Downtown Melbourne

Where can you see all this? Historic church, modern skyscrapers, then horse and carriage versus light rail!
One of  the many arcadesOne of  the many arcades
One of the many arcades

Shops and cafes galore.
Shopping arcadeShopping arcade
Shopping arcade

Many of these places all over the downtown.
Old warehousesOld warehouses
Old warehouses

Note the extensions to lift loads.
Schnitzels!Schnitzels!
Schnitzels!

Huge serving with complementary wine.


9th November 2017
Downtown

Hi,
Great pictures, enjoy your time Marion.
10th November 2017

from mary ellen
not sure if my comment was forwarded. Are you going to the Zoo and if so watch out for the emus. Glad you are having such a nice time eating and tramming..................mem

Tot: 0.037s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.019s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb