Great Ocean Road Day 16. French Island.


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » French Island
February 20th 2020
Published: February 20th 2020
Edit Blog Post

Rough Roads.Rough Roads.Rough Roads.

French Island
GOR Day 16. French Island
Out into the blustery cold went the Draughty Dozen to be transported to the heaven (to some)that is French Island on the morning ferry. Eventually we found the Eco Lodge and left our panniers before venturing out into the wash board dirt roads. The island store reminded me of a shearing shed but produced some good sandwiches and proper coffee as well as being the island ???? Office. I imagine a life saver utility on such a remote/barren island just 3 km from the mainland with no services provided. They all have to generate their own electricity, find water and create their own water disposal systems. The roads are something else. Soft sand throws you on the bike, the washboard rattles your teeth and the puddles are a swimming bath in the making. I rode with Tony and Deborah along the coast road which heads north for maybe 10k and we never got near the coast, although it wasn’t far away but we dare not make our way through the bush for fear of snakes - copper head and tiger, giving us an unwelcome injection. By mid afternoon the sun came out and the temperature soared to a level more in keeping with our latitude and we basked in it outside our eco cabins. Be frugal with the hot water at shower time as the water is heated by solar panels and can soon run cold for the last man standing. We have found that bicycles make quite good clothes horses for our daily washing duties and the wind and sun had them dry in no time. The coast at Tankerton is very picturesque and great for relaxing on a hot day with sandy beaches, mangroves and banks of washed up sea shells. The same great view, at a distance, can be had from the cabins. What a place to be today. My only regret is that others had seen Koalas and Echidnas in the wild. Hopefully my turn will come.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 30; dbt: 0.05s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb