Great Ocean Road Day 15 Cowes


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Cowes
February 19th 2020
Published: February 19th 2020
Edit Blog Post

GOR Day 15. Phillip Island.
Poor sort of breakfast this morning with two slices of toast. I can’t eat yoghurt which was the other half.
Off at 9am when the rain stopped, although we got little bits of rain later and a massive downpour when some of us were luckily in the Vietnam Veterans Museum. The route took us on a nice boardwalk track in a boggy forest which was good until a tree had fallen across the boardwalk. The bike had to be lifted down and somehow make way through the undergrowth meanwhile looking for snakes. As Rhyll was approached we found the wind, which was quite ferocious and whipping up the sea. Next to the Vietnam Museum to see how deeply the Australians were involved and to see some of the original tanks, trucks, jeeps and aircraft used in the war. Helicopters and planes of every size plus sniffer dogs were used and many list their life, as in any war. Futile, as always, especially since the troops had to withdraw from a conflictbgey could never win in such a hostile environment agains locals who knew the country so well. After battling into a 29mph westerly we arrived at the racing circuit for yet another brew and scone before heading back to Cowes with a magnificent tail wind. The evening was rounded off by another Italian meal and to watch the fairy penguins come in from the sea at dusk in groups of 20 or 30. Luckily the night was good with no rain and just a stiff breeze off the sea.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.526s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 58; dbt: 0.1815s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb