Australia Great Ocean Road Apollo Bay


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Apollo Bay
February 15th 2016
Published: February 15th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Great Ocean Road. Port Campbell.
Great breakfast in Warrnambool this morning and then stocked up with emergency rations at Coles before heading out on quiet roads before joining GOR after 32km. Shortly before a cafe stop for light lunch/snack at Barrewarre. The weather is wonderful to us who have escaped a wet and windy UK and a snowed on Nebraska with full sun and a max of 32 degrees. As we got close to the coast again after 48km we were stunned by the beauty of the colour of the rocks and the many rock formations close to the coast which have become islands due to sea erosion. There was the Bay of Islands, London Bridge and the Arch to
name just a few. Eventually we made Port Campbell after 70km and 330m of climbing and went to the pub for a cup of tea and a chap asked if I lived in Clitheroe, as I was wearing my Clitheroe Bike Club shirt, and it turned out he used to live on Osbaldeston 14 miles away. His friend with him lived in Leeds. A small world. Nice hotel in cabins but breakfast Continental in room provided night before so opted to go into town at 7.30am to get full breakfast in readiness for a hard day to Lavers Hill tomorrow. Good meal in pub tonight at reasonable price after trawling restaurants which charged enough to retire at 35.
Day 7 Lavers Hill
Some people are idiots, some people are downright rude and some are totally inconsiderate. Last night we had all three in one. We were rudely awakened at 1.45am by the Aussie occupants of the next room who had obviously been to the pub and maybe consumed some dodgy substance. They proceeded to shout at the top of their voices, laugh and screem and then used the bed as a trampoline which made our room shake. This went on until Joanne went to educate them at 4.45am when she had had enough. At 2.30 I dug out my earplugs, which cut out most of the noise, but still suffered through lack of sleep. Bogans and of the highest order.
We were up at 7am and had a really good breakfast in town at the Cove Restaurant, which had loads of old memorabilia on display and served good food. As we rode along the Great Ocean Road towards Princetown we were met by loads more rock outcrops and islands close to the coast plus, of course, the 12 Apostles. The Apostles just being part of the display. All well worth seeing. This took some time going in and out along the paths to the many viewpoints and added 10km to the days distance. My camera memory card must be nearly full since I took that many photos. Down to Princetown for a light lunch of a sausage roll and long black. I did not know that it could take so long to warm a sausage and make a coffee. A bit (lot) of training required here. Actually several places we have been to have been badly managed and meals/drinks forgotten even when they wrote them down. The weather was not as good today with more cloud and four rain showers. The first while we had breakfast, the second whilst we had lunch, the third on the way up the forest after lunch and the fourth whilst having a brew waiting in Lavers Hill for the group to arrive. I now know why they call it Lavers Hill since we climbed just short of 1000 metres today with a max of 14%.
Eucalyptus Eucalyptus Eucalyptus

Rain Forest
There were a few tired legs at the end after lugging the panniers around the hillside. We had a worry for a while today when one of our group did not appear until 3 hrs after us. Apparently he had a tyre blow out half way up the hill and was slow anyway so panic over. Good meal at our hotel, the Otway Motor Inn, at reasonable prices and saw a few more quick showers. Hoping for dry weather tomorrow.
Great breakfast and then off to Otway Fly for a walk in the canopy of the Otway Rainforest using the steel walkways. Really interesting tour. A bit of a duller day with some sunshine but an interesting ride along the top of the ridge before dropping down to Apollo Bay. Jo and myself decided to take a detour down a dirt road for about 10k. Unfortunately Jo saw me waiting on a sharp bend and decided to stop as well. Unfortunately she used her front brake and as you can expect the front wheel disappeared under her and down she went. No blood spilt but dirt on leg and shirts and a torn rain jacket plus a dent in the confidence. This caused a slower descent and aching hands with hanging onto the brakes. Down to the sea at Apollo Bay to look at the beautiful turquoise waves rolling in and a beer outside the Beechcomber Inn. Heaven.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0506s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb