Australia. Great Ocean Road. Lorne


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Lorne
February 16th 2016
Published: February 16th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Kangaroo pie last night which was OK but a bit tough. Maybe a slower cooking required, or maybe they are a tough old breed. The weather a bit cooler today and cloudy. Quite a bit of rain overnight. First stop cafe for breakfast since hotel only does cereal and toast. OK but not the best for cyclists like us carrying out own house on our backs. Second bit of real Ozzie wildlife today when we spotted a Koala up in a tree at the roadside heading towards Kennett River. The first was a wallaby heading into the bush two days ago and Phil had one rush across the road in front if him on a fast descent yesterday, causing a bit of anxiety. The Koala was sitting in the crook of a branch of a gum tree (eucalyptus to you an I). We took a few photos mostly of its tail and posterior until its head emerged over the branch and then we were happy. The wind was pretty strong today and luckily it was from the south east which meant we were blown along nicely to Lorne. On the odd occasion we were going south around some headlands we had to drop multiple gears just to keep forward motion. Kennett River was a convenient stop for a brew and biscuit before we approached Separation Creek where the Christmas bush fires took place. It was strange how it had followed the coast and was very patchy, sometimes going right up to a house and then stopping. However, it did destroy 112 houses and the town of Lorne was totally evacuated, on Christmas Day, for three days until it subsided. It is now nine weeks since it happened and is surprising how the ferns have sprouted up again in a big way between the trees. After we arrived in Lorne at 1pm the sun decided to appear and lifted the temperature up from the 16 degrees in the morning. Mid afternoon saw a hunger spike so three of us went to Chopstix for some Asian Cuisine. Excellent. Maybe back here tonight.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Nearly thereNearly there
Nearly there

Just a bit of downhill left


16th February 2016

Cycling New Zealand
Hi Richard. We have been following your blog for yonks and love reading it. Reading it made our planning for our own trip around Tasmania last year so much easier. I am just making contact to ask please when / if you do New Zealand again to please drop us a line as we would love to join your group. Not sure how it works, if you could point me in the right direction please.

Tot: 0.636s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 13; qc: 49; dbt: 0.1651s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb