Day Two - Mossman Gorge and Daintree National Park


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Mossman
June 16th 2021
Published: June 29th 2022
Edit Blog Post

We had a lovely breakfast then joined the bus after filling our bottles with water. The Mirage had a filling station with sparkling, cold or warm water. I filled my bottle with sparkling which caused much laughter when I opened it later and it went "pop"!! I was asked if I had champagne in it. Unfortunately NO.

Our first stop was the Mossman Gorge Visitor Centre and were taken on a dreamtime gorge walk by Ray. After participating in a smoking ceremony we set off on our walk where he explained the traditional uses of bush food sources such as plants, seeds, ochre used etc by the aboriginal inhabitants for foods, and medicine.

At the end of the walk we had a Covid safe morning tea of damper, cream and jam. Paper cups, plastic utensils and individual jam and cream containers.

Back on the bus for and we went further in to the Daintree, the oldest and most biologically diverse rainforest in the world for a cruise and then lunch.

We then visited the Cooper Creek Wilderness. We split into 2 groups and were guided through Cooper Creek home o the most pristine old growth rain forest with fabulous fan palm galleries. We saw a plant whose genus dates back 500 million years when it moved from the water to land. Our guide gave us an exclusive experience of the forest floor with insights into the issues the area faces including feral pigs.

Our accommodation for the night was at the Heritage Lodge and Spa. Nice rooms and great G&T before dinner.


Additional photos below
Photos: 36, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Fan PalmsFan Palms
Fan Palms

Cooper Creek
Fungi Fungi
Fungi

Cooper Creek
FungiFungi
Fungi

Cooper Creek


Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0367s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb