Day Three - Cape Tribulation - Bloomfield Track - Cooktown


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Bloomfield Track
June 17th 2021
Published: June 29th 2022
Edit Blog Post

A delicious breakfast. We took a photo of a white lipped tree frog hiding in plain sight on a leaf. Packed up and headed for Cape Tribulation, a headland named by James Cook after his ship struck the Great Barrier Reef in 1770. We had a walk on the beach and a cup of tea. A beautiful spot.

Drove on the Bloomfield track - Cowrie Range 31 degrees Up and 33 Degrees down - on to the Bloomfield Track. This is impassable during the wet season, the track passes through some wild country. There are numerous steep climbs through the rainforest and several creek crossings - not good for diary writing.

Once across the Bloomfield River we met up with our guide for a walk to Bloomfield Falls. We were met by a local indigenous woman who told us about the falls and then be walked down to see them.

Lunch today was a meat and salad buffet at the Lions Den Hotel, one of Qld's oldest bush pubs. Saw a camel in a field as we left, We passed Black Mountain National Park. the granite rocks are covered by lichen which gives the rocks their black colour.

After lunch we drove to Cooktown, where Cook beached Endeavour for repairs after hitting the reef. We visited the Cooktown Museum which is located in a convent built i the 1800s. It was vacated in 1942. Left in ruins but the locals raised money to restore it and turn it into a museum. We also visited the Botanical Gardens and then checked into our hotel, The Sovereign Resort Hotel.

The hotels runs a bus to the lookout, with excellent commentary by the driver, which gave a great view over Cooktown at the Grassy Hill lookout. A beautiful sunsetBack for dinner.


Additional photos below
Photos: 33, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.298s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 19; qc: 88; dbt: 0.0816s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb