Fraser island


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Fraser Island
March 24th 2010
Published: March 25th 2010
Edit Blog Post

today was the overnight trip to Fraser Island, its the biggest sand island in the world, and a world heritage site to boot, so lots to live up to, and it didn't disappoint 😊

It was a 2 day tour with a guide called Carl, great old guy full of fun and tales. The Island is made totally of sand, so no roads only sand tracks, therefore 4 wheel drive only. We arrived by ferry on a gloriously sunny morning. We drove up the 75 mile highway, which is the beach. The highway is shared with drivers, people fishing, sunbathers, and anyone strolling along, all with equal rights. Funny thing is there are road signs saying 80km speed limit, which seems so odd, it being a beach.

Our first stop was a walk through the rain forest, with Carl telling us all about the vegetation, lots of tales about the original inhabitants, the aborigines. As we were walking along, a Dingo came into sight and eventhough they look just like our domestic dogs they are wild, very predatory animals and will attack anyone that appears less dominant than themselves, so all children must be picked up, adults must stand tall and look them in the eye, and never ever turn your back on them or they will attack !! so obviously we did as we were told.

There were 2 huge eagles circling above too, very impressive. Then we went on an incredibly bumpy ride on the bus, it was hilarious, just like a roller coaster. Along the 75 mile beach again to look at the Maheno shipwreck, a luxury cruise ship in its day but was sold and when being towed for scapping about was hit by a cyclone and washed ashore and its been there rusting away ever since.

Off again to see the Rainbow Sands, which has about 70 different coloured sand which is due to a chemical reaction of oxides in the sand, however the aborigines have a far more romantic story about a girl falling in love with a rainbow - but a naughty spirit wanted her for himself so he shot the rainbow and it shattered onto millions of pieces. see travel does broaden the mind !!! such info your getting here.

Then lunch was amazing and we all ate far tooo much, but I heard one of the funniest things for ages while were munching away. My new little family were 5 girls all about 25 years old, from Italy, Germany and Holland. Anyway someone mentioned cricket and they were having this conversation about how they thought it was played. Well you had to be there I know but when you hear the words, "three straight sticks with a smaller stick on top", "men running for no reason", "so what is the point of the game", " what !!! the game goes on for a whole day? they must be exhausted" ............... well it was so funny listening to them talk i didnt want to tell them how it works, it was far more fun listening. Anyway does anyone actually know the point of the game ????

Indian head was next - its about 200 feet high cliff edge with turquoise ocean below that was crashing underneath on the rocks. We saw a turtle all alone swimming along happily and then we saw a family of dolphins playing - it was if they were putting on a show for us, jumping and frolicking about for about 10 mins in front of us..... lots of ooo's and aaahhh's

There was a place called Champagne Pools which is a rock pool that appears to bubble due to the fish in it, hence Champage. Last but not least today was a ride up t Eli Creek, a fresh water creek that was fresh to say the least (freeeezing cold !!!) when you went in and floated along for about a 100 yards back to the ocean. Great fun that was, only one of my girls and myself did it.

Then it was back to the resort for dinner, the resort has an electric fence around it - plus an electric grid at the entrance to stop Dingo's entering it ........... note to self ............walk around the electric grid !!!! (i'm not joking I almst walked right over it b4 one of my girls grabbed me back)

Dinner ... again ate too much then a quick drink at the bar with Carl and a few of the other people on the bus then it was bed time for us at 10.30 ..... the reason is we are getting up at 5.30 AM yes 5.30 Am to watch the sunrise 😊

so its night night from me and night night from all of us here in Fraser Island xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx



Advertisement



Tot: 0.171s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0604s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb