Day 99: Cape Tribulation to Cairns, Australia


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cairns
March 6th 2010
Published: March 24th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Cape Tribulation to Cairns


Day 99: Saturday, March 6th, 2010
Cape Tribulation to Cairns, Australia.

Per the Contiki Brochure, "After breakfast, we return to the popular traveller’s hub of Cairns and make our way to the rainforest village of Kuranda to join the Pamagirri Aboriginal Experience. Learn about Australia’s indigenous culture, have a go at throwing a boomerang and watch the highly-skilled spear throwing demonstration. Take in a traditional dance performance and listen to stories from the Dreamtime. Use your free time to explore the quaint village and local markets before our return to Cairns. With a colourful tropical setting, vibrant restaurant scene and happening nightlife, this gateway to the Great Barrier Reef and rainforests is one of Australia’s hottest destinations."

Made our way back to Cairns today and later tonight we'll meet up with the rest of the Contiki group at the Colonial Cairns Resort. We visited Tjapukai which is a Aboriginal Cultural Center (brochure said we were going to Kuranda- it lied it lied.) They showed us how to throw boomerangs. Wanna know how I did? The joke tells all: What do you call a boomerang that doesn't come back? A stick. They also taught us how to throw a spear thing (I was actually good at that- be afraid). They played didgeridoo's but didn't offer for us to try so I didn't find out if my trombone skills would transfer well or not.

Back at the hotel, I run into Corey in the lobby so we hit the pool and tell each other about our experiences the past few days. It's too bad that she won't be going on the rest of the trip, we had fun. That night I join up with the rest of my Contiki group (including the new crowd) at The Woolshed where we eat some big portions of food, partake in Goldfish Races (the USA fish won of course) and Shaz led the group onto the tables for dancing (I watched for 2 songs then said buh bye and ran for the door.) That night I was sharing a room with Emily and then 2 girls who had just finished the Northern Australia tour and were continuing with the Reefs and Rainforest (my tour) tour. They were Michelle from Canada and Sandra who is from Leichtenstein and, more importantly, was on my New Zealand trip. It was great to see a familiar face. Ends up Danielle is also going to be on this tour (she was one of the Naked Contikeirs in New Zealand).


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



28th March 2010

The Aborigine wouldn't let you blow their didgeridoo?
Mmmmmm... Beeeeeer. Aghghghghghghghghgh.

Tot: 0.237s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 74; dbt: 0.1135s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb