15 years of drout......until now!


Advertisement
Published: May 21st 2010
Edit Blog Post

I made it to Alice Springs, just! Would you believe we got stuck in a flash storm in the middle of the outback in between William Creek (population 3) and Coober Pedy 300km away. We got stuck in the mud and had to spent a night sleeping on the bus before being rescued by the emergency services 11 hours later! Thanks to their thoughtful wives they brought much needed cheese sandwiches and jam rolls :0)

It was a cosy night, luckily there were only 5 of us on board so we had plenty of room and sleeping bags, and more importantly 12 bottles of wine! 7 km down the road a coach of OAP's aged 60-85 were also stuck so we were not a priority. The Police managed to get out to us only to tell us no help was coming, it was all very Australian.

So we settled in for the night and cracked open the wine. Unfortunately for a place called "The Bush" there are very little bushes for women to conceal their dignity whilst attempting to use the outdoor facilities. Luckily we had only gentlemen on board who designated the back of the trailer as the ladies area.

With the help of Bruce the tow truck cowboy, we finally made it to Coober Pedy, an underground mining town and slept underground in a giant tunnel full of bunk beds. Nine German's joined the tour in the morning (shizer) and we headed into the Northern Territory to watch the sunset over Uluru with a few beers. We slept in swags under the stars, watched the sunrise and experienced a giant rainbow. Without sounding too corny, it was quite spectacular. But rainbows mean rain, which started again as we headed for a trek through Kings Canyon before finally reaching Alice Springs.

People here seem to think im joking when i say my name is Alice, it makes booking a taxi very difficult i can tell you.


Additional photos below
Photos: 91, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



21st May 2010

Die Hard With a Vengeance
The man in photo 59 looks like a truck driver who knew all the US Presidents names in Die Hard with a Vengeance.
22nd May 2010

Dave
did you see the picture i left for you?

Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0251s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb