Kiama – Our last East Coast location


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales
May 22nd 2019
Published: May 24th 2019
Edit Blog Post

The Big BlowholeThe Big BlowholeThe Big Blowhole

Not so big today
It was not hard to tell that we were getting closer to Sydney the more north we travelled. Leaving Bateman’s Bay we crossed the river and immediately came upon kilometre after kilometre of major road works. Massive earth works in preparation for dual carriage ways in both directions, plus preparation for the construction of bridges all pointed to a major upgrade of the Princess Highway. From the end of the roadworks we had dual carriage all the way to Kiama. Easy driving.

We stopped for coffee and a visit to an ATM in Uladulla. To live here you obviously have to be very fit. The main shopping street is near a kilometre long and very steep from one end to the other. By the time we had walked it we felt we had earned our coffee and sticky chocolate muffin.

While having coffee Greg saw two guys coming into the bay in a tinny. They crashed into the jetty sending one guy flying. Surprisingly he didn’t go overboard.

Another beautiful seaside town we could have explored a little longer.

Onto Kiama, famous for the Australia’s biggest blowhole. Actually, it has two blowholes The Big Blowhole and across the bay The Little Blowhole. Water surge and pressure through a fissure in the rocks causes water to blast up through a hole. The size of the blast depends on the direction and size of the sea swirl at the time. The sea was reasonably calm while we were there so the blast relatively tame.

We just happened to arrive on a Wednesday, which is Farmers Market day. It starts with the ringing of a bell and runs for exactly 3 hours. It was a typical Farmers Market selling locally grown fruit and veg, local products such as cheese, honey, eggs, milk, and of course gin. There was live music, games for kids and street food for the hungry. We bought some sheep milk cheese and kangaroo salami.

Greg spotted some eels in the creek in the caravan park and got excited about going fishing. First a google search, lots of laughing and then it was dinner time so no eel fishing. The fishing stories on line were enough to put you off … besides you were not allowed to fish from the bridge in the caravan park, which was about the only convenient spot. Slime! Bites! Broken fishing gear! Exhaustion! There has to be much better forms of entertainment.

This was to be our last night of the trip with the sound of gently crashing waves lulling us to sleep. This night we had the added bonus of lightning and thunder off in the distance. Zzzzz!


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Over-looking Easts BayOver-looking Easts Bay
Over-looking Easts Bay

Nearly all those buildings are caravan park.
The fissure for The Little Blowhole.The fissure for The Little Blowhole.
The fissure for The Little Blowhole.

Note the 2 people in the water just behind it


Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0717s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb