Bateman’s Bay


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales
May 21st 2019
Published: May 23rd 2019
Edit Blog Post

Still heading north along the coast, our next destination is Bateman’s Bay. Two events prompted some serious braking.

Firstly, a sign advertising farm fresh oysters had the brakes biting hard. Thankfully there was a zone we could safely pull off. Greg returned with a big grin and a dozen oysters. Yum!

Secondly, a mob of stupid kangaroos decided they needed to cross the road, just where the foliage on either side of the road was quite thick so there was little warning. Silly animals … you nearly didn’t make it and goodness only knows what might have happened to us.

Our TomTom loves to take us on some very strange roads. Usually the scenic routes which are steep and winding. Luckily, we spotted this early enough so returned to a more major route. There are so many rivers and lakes in this area. Many opportunities for water front living.

We had hoped there would be kayaking opportunities around Batesmans Bay but this proved wrong. Bateman’s Bay was quite nice but really just had a large suburban feel to it. Multiple Shopping Malls, big marina with big sailing and fishing boats, and lots and lots of road works and urban development.

We had a great lunch of lovely seafood at the Soldiers League Club. These clubs are big time in NSW. Usually good, affordable pub food, and in this case, with a great water view as well.

The weather has been getting warmer and we are beginning to feel that perhaps we didn’t pack sufficient suitable clothes. However, we are soon heading inland where the nights, especially, will be much cooler.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

How the countryside has changed.How the countryside has changed.
How the countryside has changed.

Back to the dairy. This is not far from Bega
The Toll islands. The Toll islands.
The Toll islands.

Surprisingly thick vegetation on each. Various local groups sponsored an island


Tot: 0.195s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 41; dbt: 0.1166s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb