Day 41 - Toronga to Mosman walk


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney » Mosman
April 1st 2024
Published: April 1st 2024
Edit Blog Post

Today started a little later than the days before. When I woke at about 8:45, my thoughts went straight to my legs. After yesterday’s exercise, I was dubious how they would feel today! I put my feet to the floor, I was pleasantly surprised! I can actually feel them! I started my day by doing a few bedside stretches, before I attempted walking… ha ha. Honestly, I’m way better than I had anticipated, but the stretches help!

We do such a lot each day, I think it’s catching us up. We were both expecting to be hobbling today, especially after yesterday’s wobbling!!! But we both seem better than we had expected to!

We have discussed the options for today, we think it could be a walk with a beach. Our main aim is to get home a little bit earlier than we have been doing, because I want to wash my hair… and that’s a long job!

It is 9:20, we haven’t had brekky yet, so it’s definitely a bit of a later start! I think after yesterday, neither of us wanted to be rushing around today. Bernard got the bacon, egg and toast on the go. Woop woop, go chez Bernard! I’m loving the service that I’m getting here!

We discussed all of our options for today, but we have guidelines for today because, tomorrow, Bernard is working, and tonight I want to wash my hair!

In the past 3 days, we have done so much. We’ve had a blast, and completely pushed ourselves with both our time, and effort, that we have been getting home so late that we don’t actually have much of an evening left. The morning, noon and night all seem to roll into one….. and it’s been great, no regrets, but we want to allow for us both to drop down a level to allow for normal life bits/consideration/admin to be allowed some time to!

We enjoyed our breakfast, formed our plan for the day, got our day bags ready, and were off again!

Today’s plan was to take the train to Circular Quay, get the ferry to Toronga Zoo, where we will start our walk. All plans started off great. We grabbed an iced coffee to go for the ferry trip. It was a short, but nice crossing, as always! You can never get fed up of seeing the panoramic views of Sydney Harbour, and all of the gems it has to offer.

Today’s walk is not going to be as strenuous as we have done over the past few days. As planned, we started at Toronga Zoo, which led us directly onto the Torongo to Mosmon walking trail. It really wasn’t very far into the walk when we saw our first bit of wildlife. There was a big blue tongued lizard. Bernard didn’t even see it until I pointed ted it out. It barely moved at first, but then ran for the rocks and grass.

As we passed through Bradley’s Head part of the trek, we stopped at Boorahghee Amphitheater. This part of the walk is also part of The Royal Australian Navy Memorial Area. In those areas are remnants of gunnery points. The convict-built battery at Bradleys Head was built after four American warships arrived in Sydney Harbour undetected in 1839. People were feeling uneasy, so a circular parapet was later installed to enhance Sydney’s protection. Very close by to the parapet is The H.M.A.S. Sydney I Memorial Mast. This mast commemorates those who served in the Royal Australian Navy and those ships which were lost in service.

We continued on the trek to be stopped by a huge crow that was dining on the remainders of a bat! This is not something I’m used to seeing! But an interesting stop!

As we continued on the Bradley Head trek, we came into Mosman. There were no changes to the walk, or the environment, just a name change of the area. We had a sit down for a nut bar, and water break, before continuing to Clifton Hardens and Chowder Bay. Here they have lots of family, grassy areas, which are sided by beach and sea areas. They offer community barbecues, toilets, water fill ups and drink and good opportunities. There are many boats of varying sizes, meeting various levels of needs.

At this point, there are a few stairs to climb, so we stopped for a nut, and water break, and also sun cream replenish, before attempting the stairs! Unfortunately, as soon as we got up those stairs, there are more, over the road, at this point, we decided to have a proper sit down, cafe stop iced tea and iced coffee it is!

We sat for about 45 minutes! Then discussed the fact that we both may be using delay tactics, knowing that there is a huge stair climb that is hidden round the corner!

We were right to delay, it was in fact a lots of stairs, and they were all going up! We paced it quite well, therefore, again, it was achievable! There was a really interesting reward for our efforts at the top of the climb. We came to George’s Head Battery. It is also called the Georges Head Military Fortifications. It is a heritage-listed former military fortification.

We actually spent quite a bit of time up here, reading its history, and putting it into context. It definitely shows itself, even now, as a stronghold. Yet, surprisingly to us, it was upgraded in the 1888, but from the type of guns, and the buildings we can see now, it certainly looks like It was then improved again, to reuse during the WWII era. There are a series of interlinking tunnels, and passageways, excavated after the withdrawal of British colonial troops that were garrisoned in Sydney.

After pondering the history for a while, we continued back on the trek, but this time it’s downhill stairs all the way. This is easier than going uphill, but you can’t underestimate the muscle work required! And, it was a long way down to Balmoral Beach!

Balmoral is quite a long beach, but at this time of day, 4:45, the sun is still shining, but it’s quite low in the sky, and not giving us much heat! Also, the wind is adding a further chill factor. As we laid out our towels, we prepared for a well earned rest! It’s so nice to have so much access to so many beaches, and sea areas. We are making the choice to add long walks to our days, but these areas are accessible by many means, to many people, which is a great benefit to all!

Our return bus is due at around 5:30. We chose to have a shorter rest time, in order to get home earlier than we have been doing! We were at the bus stop in good time. The return journey is a couple of buses and a train journey. The network system runs really well, most of the time, so it was an easy journey home. We did make a quick diversion to Coles to pick up some groceries.

I did say to Bernard, we’ve purposely a shorter, easier walk today, but you also can’t underestimate the many flights of stairs, both up, and down between the trains and buses! That being said, neither of us have leg wobbles today!

We arrived home before 7pm. Perfect timing! Bernard instantly cracked on with the dinner, whilst I got showered, and washed my hair. It’s ‘rollering’ night, so I’m busy! Bernard also, very kindly, made me a cup of tea, just to help me along. I really do appreciate how well I am being looked after!

When I came out of the bedroom, I saw Gavin, he’s been away for a family overnighter. I did mention that it’s nice to see him Bach again. I think he thought I was kidding, but I meant it! Then he produced a gift. It was a pot of sand from Hyams Beach. He brought it to show me how white the sand is from there. Honestly, the difference is crazy! It’s so white, and fine. It looks more like salt than sand!

Bernard served up dinner, which was Moroccan honey glazed salmon with carrot cous cous, garlic mayonnaise and salad. Then, as if that amazing dinner wasn’t enough, he excelled himself by offering affogato for dessert. It was so nice. I could seriously get used to this!

We’re having a relaxing night tonight, as Bernard is going to be up and out early in the morning for work.


Additional photos below
Photos: 36, Displayed: 27


Advertisement



Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 13; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0274s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb