Day 2 - Haircuts, fried fridges and lemons


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Gol Gol
September 2nd 2011
Published: September 2nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

End of day - Murray RiverEnd of day - Murray RiverEnd of day - Murray River

Settled in to our site at the Gol Gol Tourist Park, we watched the sunset at the river. The park has river frontage.
As we sat on the banks of the Murray River this evening, watching the world take on a beautiful warm pink glow, courtesy of the setting sun, I was put in mind of a John Denver song –‘Some days are diamonds, some days are stones’. At that point in time, I would have said that our day was somewhere in between. More a semi-precious gemstone.
One thing we know for certain, is that if you are going to have equipment failures, a capital city or large regional city is the place to be. Fortunately we are still in the Mildura area. We decided today would be the day to do some final purchases and make some alterations to the van, etc. (Frank is the etc. Had his first hair cut in about twelve months. Much better.) The problem with being in an unfamiliar environment is not knowing where to find the required resources. With the help of the internet on the mobile phone and asking people in various shops, we eventually tracked down the required equipment and some new boots and haircut for Frank. And yes, I bought another pair of shoes to go with the ten pairs I already had packed. (Frank has three pairs now.)
Returning back to the van, we made a terrible discovery. The fridge had stopped working again! Fortunately, Frank had already thought up a back-up plan, which involved changing the circuit board with a known fault, with the spare we had with us which had been repaired earlier by David, Electrician Extraordinaire, and then isolating one of the house batteries. Too complex for me to explain, but for those of you who know Frank, aka McGuiver, there was a solution, albeit requiring a return trip into Mildura. Suffice to say, we now know the business district very well indeed.
One of the joys of being in a produce growing area, is the little roadside stalls. I bought a bag of the most amazing lemons this afternoon. I have never seen such juicy lemons. I know this, because after paying the money into the honesty tin, Frank saw a sign stating that none of the produce could be taken more than fifteen kms from the place of purchase. So now I am in the process of making frozen juice blocks, so as not to waste them. Fortunately the fridge works now!
Tomorrow, I think we will visit wineries.
Oh, and now I think the day wasn’t as bad as originally thought. Geelong just beat Collingwood by ninety-six points. Go Cats!!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 62; dbt: 0.073s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb