THE PROBLEMATIC TOURISTS.


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales
September 1st 2011
Published: September 1st 2011
Edit Blog Post

Today was the first full day of our almost eight week trip around the western half of Australia. I say full day, because we actually started yesterday. Unlike all seasoned, well prepared travellers, we started out on our adventure at three o’clock in the afternoon. In the two weeks prior to our departure, we were met with a few problems which caused more than enough stress. So, when we realised at two o’clock that we had finally solved all problems and were ready to go, we went.
Farewelled by Mary, friend and house/dog sitter, we embarked on the first leg of our journey, arriving at our first camp site in Maryborough about two and a half hours later. A short trip, yes, but at least we had finally departed and left all the problems behind. Not quite. The trip went well. The van towed beautifully. Frank was very happy. The hills were no obstacle. Setting up was good, perhaps a couple of teething problems. I certainly need to learn how things work to ease the burden. Dinner was at the Golf Club over the road. Then we settled down for a night of television viewing. OMG! No TV reception. We pressed all the buttons, turned the antenna this way and that. Still no reception. Frustrated, we settled for listening to Leonard Cohen and reading/computing.
Today we travelled to the Mildura area, settling for a caravan park in Gol Gol where we had stayed once before about twenty-five years ago. As we drove into St Arnaud, I noticed that we were turning a few heads and caused a few smiles. “What’s with them”, I asked. “Perhaps they have never seen a fifth wheeler before”, was Franks suggestion. A little further down the street, a similar reaction from another group, and then one of them indicated to the roof of the van. Oops, the hatch must be open. No. The pop-top had come up. We must have looked quite a site driving along the Sunraysia Highway doing 85kmp with the pop-top up. We were a little embarrassed. We were even more embarrassed when we had to drive past the same group again, and they were still laughing at us. Would have been nice if they indicated there was a problem.
The rest of the trip was uneventful. Then it was time to cook dinner and watch the TV. OMG! Still no TV. More curses and frustration and then I had a realization. “Hang on, we aren’t in Melbourne”. Retuning the TV makes all the difference.
Frank cooked a lovely dinner of roast duck and vegies, followed by award winning vanilla slice from Ouyen. Life can be tough sometimes.



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Doing the right thingDoing the right thing
Doing the right thing

Disposing of our fruit at the first quarantine point we came across on the way into Mildura.
Driving past a canola fieldDriving past a canola field
Driving past a canola field

The canola fields are all in flow at the moment, making beautiful yellow fields.
First meal cooked in the vanFirst meal cooked in the van
First meal cooked in the van

Frank, the chief cook, is cooking a lovely pot roast of duck and vegetables. This is the first meal cooked in the van, and it was delicious.


Tot: 0.211s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 10; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0307s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb