Anchorage to Tok


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States
August 15th 2015
Published: August 16th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Heading down to Anchorage we called in at Denali NP and drove out to check out the wildlife and get a glimpse of McKinley. Saw a few moose and stopped in at the park rangers to see the awesome husky dogs. I want one!

We just had a brief look around Anchorage having been here before once. Went for a squizz about town and caught up on 'housekeeping'. Our highlight was a dinner organised by Alaska Leather who invited our group and some local bikers around to their premises. The spread put on by Victor and Barbara was fan-fricken-tastic! We saw some awesome bikes including a R 1200 GSA with a sidecar, some beautiful Harleys, a turbo road bike and a titanium gun!

We then rode from Anchorage back to Tok seeing the Matanuska glacier as we travelled. We encountered two moose which thankfully stayed put as we passed them.

The first part of our 512 mile journey was curvey and scenic but the latter part had lots of straights and got dull. Trev and Jack opened the bikes up to circa 120 mph; felt pretty damn quick, gotta say!

Arrived at Tok in the early afternoon; was around 22 degrees, nice and warm.

Had a group dinner at the Mexican across the road and met up with the Vinsen brothers (mike and Ian) and Brian Donaldson. Went around to their camp for a looksie and a beer; awesome accomodation amongst the trees with tepees and little cabins!

My Spanish is coming along slowly with the help of Gerardo and I hope to have a reasonable knowledge on entering Mexico.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.14s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0477s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb