National parks (Sep 25th -Oct 5th)


Advertisement
North America » United States
October 25th 2010
Published: October 25th 2010
Edit Blog Post

South Tahoe Lake Saturday September 25th. 9.30pm. I get the car at the SFO airport. Only one thing in mind: Driving. Driving to get away from the big city and face the Nature. Oakland, Richmond, Sacramento, several interesting cities I overtake just to reach the lake, South Tahoe Lake. 200 miles after, here I am. Lost in the deep dark night, "I saw the sign" (Ace of Base copyright). South Tahoe ... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 0, Displayed: 21


Advertisement




26th October 2010

Grand Canyon West Comment
Bonjour Laurent, You took some great photos on your National Park trip... It must have been a very memorable experience. I was very disappointed, however, to read that you think that the efforts of the Hualapai at Grand Canyon West are 'a joke'. They are one of the few tribes that have turned towards tourism to aid their ailing economy, not casinos or golf courses. Because their land is not a National Park, the government does not provide certain amenities such as paved roads. Therefore, the tribe must pay for and build all of these types of amenities. For that reason, they charge entrance to their reservation and entrance to the Skywalk. Improvement at Grand Canyon West comes from this revenue. They are proud of their land and heritage and have chosen to share it with visitors, people who would never have had the chance to meet an 'Indian' otherwise. And if you've never been there, how can you know that it is 'the worst one, full of helicopters, planes, etc.' Some people appreciate their visit to the North Rim and find the experience much more fulfiling than visiting the 'cheap' North Rim. I hope that the next time you are in the Grand Canyon West area, that you will play the game and see for yourself.
27th October 2010

answer to Nikki
Dear Nikki, what I meant is that I find it very expensive to enter the Grand Canyon for half a day. I understand and respect the tribe, and the choice of not counting on casinos to make a living, but I already spent 20$ for Yosemite, 20$ for Death Valley, 20$ for Bryce, 20$ for Zion...and a week-end of gambling in Vegas, so that is why I was disappointed with the prices. I drove up to the entrance, though. I just wanted to go on the sky bridge. And paying over 70$ for that, I found it expensive.. Anyway, I take your point. Thanks.
1st November 2010

NOUVEAU WESTERN
Le vent souffle en Arizona Un état d'Amérique dans lequel Jingle zona Il erre dans les plaines, fier, solitaire Son monospace est son partenaire

Tot: 0.204s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 41; dbt: 0.081s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb