Four days from Home to San Antonio, TX


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States
January 23rd 2009
Published: January 23rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Tuesday, 20 January, 2009
We had planned to leave yesterday morning, but a prescription boondoggle held us up until late yesterday afternoon and then the OMG or the WTH light came on on the dash, so Kerry had to research on the internet how to find the code, then reset. This morning when we got up, it was 20 degrees out and snowing, with a dusting of snow covering the ground. We were more than happy to head south toward what we hoped was warmer weather. We kept seeing flurries until we were south of Florence, AL, but nothing sticking.

Traffic all the way to Florida was light, even going through Birmingham and Montgomery. I guess everyone was in DC for the inauguration. We got to Bob and Gena's around 8 as planned.

Wednesday, 21 January, 2009
It was 23 degrees and sunny in Defuniak Springs, FL this morning. So much for warmer weather down south. It was a pretty day, though, as we headed west on I-10 through the Florida panhandle, Alabama, Mississippi and to Slidell, LA where we stopped for the night.

Thursday, 22 January, 2009
It was in the low 30's last night, but warming up fast; it was 47 and sunny when we headed out this morning.

We took I-10 through New Orleans where the effects of Katrina are still evident in many places. We drove over the bridge crossing Lake Ponchartrain, which is pretty impressive, as is the lake itself. Kerry read somewhere that I-10 through Louisiana was voted the worst highway in the US by truck drivers. We sure wouldn't disagree with them on that, it's really bumpy in a lot of places, and there isn't a single rest area the whole 274 miles across from east to west.

We stopped for the night in Orange, Texas, where it was in the 70's this afternoon and in the 50's overnight.

Friday, 23 January, 2009

It was 70 and sunny this morning as we got back on the road. There was some construction around Beaumont and Baytown, but the traffic moved on quite well. The drive through Houston was blessedly uneventful, despite 6 lanes of traffic in all directions and tangles of overpasses above our heads. Houston seems to go on forever, and even Katy has 9 exits now. Katy used to be a little farm and ranch community, with only 1 exit, but now it has 2 exits just for its downtown.

We started seeing cactus as the area gets drier. We spotted Texas longhorn cattle, hawks, even some llamas.

We're settled in for the next 2 nights in San Antonio. Tonight...laundry


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



24th January 2009

Wondering how things were going! You missed the 2 million man march/flag waving, whatever!!! Already he's doing some dumb things, but then we won't go there while you are vacation!!!!!! LOVE YOU. Have fun!
24th January 2009

Hey crazy people! Brad and I test drove a Fat Boy yesterday! Thought of you! Hope you're having fun and the weather treats you well. Love you!

Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0406s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb