San Antonio, TX places to visit


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas » San Antonio
January 24th 2009
Published: January 25th 2009
Edit Blog Post

It was in the 30's this morning and quite windy. We all dressed warmly and headed to the bus stop around 10. It's quite handy to ride the bus downtown, you don't have to worry about parking and the bus stops right in front of the campground. So Gena, Bob, Kerry and I rode to see the Alamo and River Walk. We managed to get off the bus a block too early, but it was no big deal.

Again the Alamo was smaller than expected, but still quite sobering. We went through the old mission part first, then the museum/gift shop, then past the history tree to the long barracks where we watched a short film. It was very interesting, with facts we'd either forgotten or never knew. The history tree is in the courtyard, was planted in 1915, and was about 40 years old when planted there. So it is quite old and has some branches over 50 feet long.

After the Alamo, we headed to Casa Rio for lunch. It has the best Mexican food I've eaten and the restaurant has been in business since 1946 (whether River Walk has been there that long I doubt.) So we all ate our fill and then some, then took a long stroll along the River Walk. It was much more crowded than when we visited last year, but Lackland AFB had a boot camp graduation and there were young airmen and their families everywhere. It was nice to see them all and remember how we felt to finally see Michael after he finished boot camp.

We took the trolley to Market Square and looked at some of the Mexican imports at the vendors' stalls there before catching another trolley then a bus back to the campground.

I finally got laundry done (Yay!) while Kerry and Bob went to Walmart. The four of us ate supper together as we are wont to do and enjoyed popcorn and a rip-roaring game of Phase 10 before turning in. A fun day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

River WalkRiver Walk
River Walk

Bob, Gena and Kerry with one of the river taxis passing
River WalkRiver Walk
River Walk

Bob tip-toeing through the tulips (pansies?)


25th January 2009

We've eaten at Casa Rio too. Great place!!!!!
26th January 2009

Alamo
Have always wanted to see the Alamo, maybe someday we will head that way... Love Barbara's comments (however it seems no politics on the blog, hey?) Anyway glad to see you are getting closer, can't wait to see you guys! Have fun and we look forward to your next posting Love you!!
27th January 2009

come on up to the PNW!
Love reading about your trip! It's cold up here too so enjoy that warm weather. Any chance you'll still be in California in early March?
27th January 2009

come on up to the PNW!
Love reading about your trip! It's cold up here too so enjoy that warm weather. Any chance you'll still be in California in early March?Any good places to bring a trailerable boat?
27th January 2009

Well,the weather there must be a little different than it is here,you don't have enough clothes on.Your boat is not moving much, because it is locked up in ice.Schools are closed and it's raining(at 33 degrees),and it's supposed to snow tomorrow.I don't think we will be on the gas dock this week.Keep those cards and letters coming.
5th February 2009

What did you get at Casa Rio? I’m a big fan of their chicken flautas. I’ve also heard that the table side guacamole salad at Boudro’s is a must-try; they mix it all up right there in front of you! http://visitsanantonio.com/visitors/play/history-heritage/historic-hotels-and-restaurants/index.aspx

Tot: 0.258s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 18; qc: 66; dbt: 0.1635s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb