Yellowstone Adventure Shoshone Lodge


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Wyoming
September 13th 2014
Published: September 13th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Day 7. Shoshone LodgeWow! What a day. This is really the high country and takes me back to all those old cowboy films I watched as a boy. We set off just before 9am, at well below zero and mist, to visit Artist Point on the southern edge of the Canyon and even the buffaloes (real name Bison) had frost on their backs. This was the best time to visit the south rim since the sun was on the lower falls and the view was magnificent. Heading south to Fishing Bridge there was an abundance of wildlife with geese, trumpeter swans and bison in herds with calves and one right by the roadside munching away before setting off alongside at a gallop - exit stage left boo boo. Sulphur Cauldron, Mud Volcano and fumaroles were visited on the way down. The sulphur gas being quite pungent, killing the surrounding trees the water being very acidic. Fishing Bridge is where thousands of Cutthroat trout come to spawn each June and are a treat for the Grizzlies and Bald Eagles. A coffee at the filling station then alongside Yellowstone Lake with the geese and more bison grazing close by before a big climb up the Sylvan Pass cresting at 2627 metres. The trees on the hillside were just trunks pointing skyward with no foliage, as a result of fire, which is common all over the park. The five mile descent was incredible with views of snow covered they Mountain far ahead before going out of the park at the Eastern Entrance and then along to Shoshone Lodge. The lodge had some very pleasant cabins with rocking chairs on the porch. I felt like old Jed Clampet of the "Hillbillies" whilst writing this blog in the warm sun, not wanting it to go in. Marvelous meal in a real rustic ranch house.

Stats: 49 miles. Ave 12.8 mph. Elev. 1920 m. Max elev. 2627 m. Ascent 814 m. Temp. -7 deg C. to 16.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0323s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb