Yellowstone Adventure Canyon 2


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States
September 12th 2014
Published: September 12th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Today is our rest day and woke at 6.30 to a light covering of snow on the ground and temperature around zero. After breakfast 10 of our group went for a walk along the north rim of the Yellowstone Canyon, which is pretty impressive. There is a massive gorge and two waterfalls. By midday it was getting a little warmer and the sun came out which always helps. A late lunch in the restaurant - eventually - where the sunny nature and friendly hospitality went AWOL for a while. Half way through dealing with my account the till boy dashed off to the phone and was on it for 5 minutes until we gave in and left a note to say we would be back to pay later - unbelievable.The CanyonAbout 640,000 yrs ago a huge volcanic eruption created a chamber of volcanic debris, which collapsed to form this caldera 45 miles long by 30 miles wide and which filled with sediment over thousands of years. There is a lot of hydrothermal activity, which has altered the rock and made it softer and subject to erosion, whilst there is still some hard larva rock especially at the falls. Many of the altered rocks have various colours such as dark orange, brown and green. At the lower falls it looks like green water flowing over one section near the side. A spectacular canyon.After lunch I sat down to do my blogging and spent 40 minutes and several phone calls to get it to work after paying $11 for the privilege. So here you have it, done for another day. Forecast slightly warmer tomorrow at 8 deg centigrade. Off heading east to Shoshone then Cody, home of Buffalo Bill.Distance. Nil by bike, 4 miles on foot. Exhausted.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.036s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb