Friday Harbor, San Juan Island


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Washington
June 20th 2009
Published: June 21st 2009
Edit Blog Post

Anacortes Ferry TerminalAnacortes Ferry TerminalAnacortes Ferry Terminal

It's best to make a reservation, or arrive an hour early to guarantee a place on the ferry.
Friday Harbor was founded in 1909 and celebrates its Centennial this summer. The town has a population of 2,000, normally, and San Juan Island has a population of 8,000. During July and August, the population increases to half a million as the jazz concerts and summer arts fair swing into activity.

It's a 90-minute drive from Seattle to Anacortes. Get into line for the ferry an hour early to be certain of boarding on time. As we waited for the ferry's arrival, we visited the espresso stand and souvenir store. When we sailed, the hour-long ferry ride passed quickly as we watched eagles, seals, sailboats, and barges pass through San Juan Channel.

San Juan is the second largest of the islands. Orcas is the largest at 56 square miles; San Juan is a close second at 55-and-a-half square miles. In Friday Harbor, guests like to visit shops, restaurants, galleries, and eat home-made ice cream. There are plenty of motels and bed and breakfast places for an overnight stay.

You can tour the historic American and English camps, Lime Kiln State Park (a whale-watching site), Lavender Farm, Alpaca Farm, and Roche Harbor Resort. It's a 42-mile drive around the
Ferry Terminal at San Juan IslandFerry Terminal at San Juan IslandFerry Terminal at San Juan Island

This is a view of the ferry terminal from Downriggers Restaurant in Friday Harbor.
entire island. If you're the active type, you can take a whale watching tour, visit the Whale Museum, rent a bicycle, moped, kayak, horse, or play golf.

Tourism is the largest market in the islands, then real estate, lumber, farming, and fishing. Go to www.sanjuanisland.org online for information. Make ferry reservations at www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries.



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Office for Whale Watching ToursOffice for Whale Watching Tours
Office for Whale Watching Tours

More than 150 orca whales in the J, K, and L pods spend most of June and July around the islands.
Lighthouse at Lilm Kiln State ParkLighthouse at Lilm Kiln State Park
Lighthouse at Lilm Kiln State Park

The lighthouse contains a record of all the whale sightings from the island.
Krystal Alpaca FarmKrystal Alpaca Farm
Krystal Alpaca Farm

A place to buy blankets, sweaters, hats, and gloves made from fine alpaca fibers.
Roche HarborRoche Harbor
Roche Harbor

Roche Harbor is a company town owned by Foss Tugboat Company.
Goodbye to Friday HarborGoodbye to Friday Harbor
Goodbye to Friday Harbor

The ferry leaves peaceful, picturesque Friday Harbor until another time.
Beautiful Mt. BakerBeautiful Mt. Baker
Beautiful Mt. Baker

A view of Mt. Baker is a sight to behold from all of the San Juan Islands.


Tot: 0.12s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0517s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb