Walla Walla Balloon Stampede


Advertisement
Published: May 31st 2009
Edit Blog Post

Inside the Gondola.Inside the Gondola.Inside the Gondola.

The pilot and passengers ride with propane tanks and flight instruments.
What a beautiful weekend for a balloon ride! The conditions were perfect: calm winds and no rain in sight. Temperature 71 degrees. The sun usually smiles on Mother's Day weekend in Walla Walla. The festival started in 1974. It is the longest-running balloon event in the Pacific Northwest. The 35th annual Balloon Stampede was held on May 8-10, 2009. Best of all, the event is free to the public.

Approximately 40 balloons lifted off at the traditional site, Garrison Middle School, adjacent to the Walla Walla County Fairgrounds. The event starts at 6:30 a.m. Visitors are invited to assist balloon owners. They hold tether ropes while the balloons are being filled with air heated by propane gas. The pilot and one to four passengers hop in the gondolas and slowly lift up, up and away into the big, blue sky.

A balloon ride usually lasts an hour and costs about $200. A southwest breeze less than 8 mph carries the balloons across the Walla Walla Valley to fields near the airport. The pilot lowers a drop line, and the ground crew gently reduces the speed and guides the balloon to a landing site.

Passengers may enjoy a ride
The Mass Ascension.The Mass Ascension.The Mass Ascension.

The crew inflates the balloon by blowing hot air inside.
if they meet the Walla Walla Chamber of Commerce health standards. They should be able to tolerate a difficult landing if winds should suddenly arise. Pilots are concerned about people who are uncomfortable standing and have artificial joints. Passengers sign an event insurance waiver before the flight.

The flight itself is peaceful. The balloon moves with the wind and no breeze is heard or felt. Those who are afraid of heights will not experience vertigo. The sides of the basket are 52 inches high and the floor is sturdy. There is no swaying or motion. Those who get motion sickness in a car or boat will not be bothered in a balloon.

Passengers watch birds below and have a wide view of the horizon. Pilots welcome cameras and videos, but large camera bags are not permitted because of limited space. Almost all sounds on the ground, including barking dogs, can be heard in the gondola.

At dusk, the top ten balloons are invited to participate in the Nite Glow at the Fairgrounds. Spectators in the grandstand enjoy live entertainment, an outdoor concert, and a light show of tethered balloons. For three days, the festival sponsors 70 food
Up, Up and Away!Up, Up and Away!Up, Up and Away!

The wicker basket slowly rises as the ground crew releases the rope tethers.
booths, arts and crafts fair, classic car and cycle show,
horse racing and a Kids Zone with inflatible activities. Admission is free.

What better way to celebrate Mother's Day! Maybe you and your Mom will even register for a ride!







Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Riding the Breeze.Riding the Breeze.
Riding the Breeze.

Balloons fill the sky traveling at 8 mph (10 knots).
In the Chase Car.In the Chase Car.
In the Chase Car.

The ground crew leaves to follow the balloon.
Nite Glow.Nite Glow.
Nite Glow.

The pilots perform a light show during a concert with fireworks.


Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.093s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb