Summer Camping trips


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Virginia
September 3rd 2010
Published: February 7th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Meeting for dinnerMeeting for dinnerMeeting for dinner

Our coach and the President's formed the bookends for the group to gather for dinner, relaxing, and the inevitable grips about why we had not won 1st place.
Well, it's been a while and I have been remiss in noting our camping. Not really sure why. But here is a brief accounting of the outings.
As mentioned in an earlier blog, we had been south to see our grandson (and his parents) and then headed up to Alabama to check out property. We finally got home and shortly after, in mid-May, headed off to the Virginia Good Sam "Samboree" at Bethpage Resort. This huge gathering brings Good Sammers from all over the state to a location twice a year for fun, fellowship, and food (of course!). We went last year for the first time and were exhausted. We were determined not to overdo this year. So we joined in the potluck, had morning breakfast furnished by the Samboree, attended the flea market and the concerts helped sell food at the Saturday lunch where most chapters earned money by selling some kind of food. We do hot dogs, chips and soda. But there was fried fish, strawberry shortcake, barbecue, sausage, hamburgers, fried dough, and more. Decision time--do I eat our dogs or try something else? Answer, get a little of everything and share. The highlight (for some) is the annual
Food and more foodFood and more foodFood and more food

Yes, our group loves to eat! Here is just a small section of the pot luck offerings on Saturday night.
themed parade. Last year we formed a "lawn chair brigade" and marched to a cadence and did simple routines. The theme was "Beach Party" and we were all in swim suits and straw hats. This year the theme was "Sports" and the ladies learned to twirl flags and marched with a great routine behind a golf cart (driven by Trish) and twirled their colored flags to a very complex routine.
The president of the group said, "John, we decided we also needed a cheerleader. We voted you to organize that." She should have known better. Trish and I hunted for cute shorts and V-neck jersey, and Trish constructed an "amplifier" for the bazooms by stitching a smaller bra inside of a larger one and then filling the insides with birdseed. I really jiggled as I pranced (some would say minced) along the parade route. I borrowed a blonde wig and was now the complete cheerleader. Got a lot of laughs, cat calls and offers. But again, folks weren't expecting my response: one guy said "Come over here and give me a kiss, honey"....so I did.

May ended and mid-June was time for another So-We-Go campout. This time it was
TwirlersTwirlersTwirlers

The ladies had a great routine with flag twirling and were super.
over the mountains to Staunton and the KOA at Walnut Hill. Last year we were on the mountain, but this year we were along the lake. It was a lovely site and we could rest under the awning, watching ducks and geese on the lake. This month's theme was summer picnic and we started with a delightful tea and homemade scones. Trish Moore went to a lot of work and made various delicious teas and scones with clotted cream. Dinner was old fashioned hot dogs and hamburgers with beans, chips and watermelon.
We did something different this campout--we stayed in camp. Last year we went with Lodges to the Frontier Folklife Museum and had a great time. But this year we just stayed in camp on Saturday and chatted with the members. What a great time! In the afternoon, Trish and I went to the pool and did some water aerobics and then came back in time to have dinner and more relaxation. That evening, a big storm came up and we ran around helping folks secure awnings, get things under cover, and then hunkered down for a downpour.
Sunday AM I was fixing french toast in the new electric
"Cheerleader" with friends"Cheerleader" with friends"Cheerleader" with friends

I was the cheerleader because I was the only one crazy enough to do it.
skillet outside and Lodges came by, so we fixed breakfast for them too. We waved good-bye and were (unfortunately) the last of our group out. As we exited the park, we heard and felt some noise from the front end and drove slowly. We even checked the tires but none were flat. I got to the main road and as I picked up speed, it got noisier and bumpier. So we pulled over, called our emergency road service, and waited for 2+ hours. Finally the repair truck came and the young man said we had a blister on the tire that could have been serious if we had been driving. It took him about 20 minutes to change the tire, check all others, and send us on our way. The Good Sam Emergency Road service certainly paid for itself this day. Cost was $0! (We gave the young man a nice tip.)

Our next camping venture was in August when we hosted the group at the Glouchester Family Campground in Hayes, VA. We had been there several times before and thought the group would enjoy the campground. It was at the outer edge of our 100 mile limit, but
Camping in StauntonCamping in StauntonCamping in Staunton

All the coaches were lined up along the edge of the lake.
everyone seemed to really like the site. We were almost all together in a group of trees with nice shade and the campground let us use the screened pavillion for free for both Friday and Saturday night meals. Fortunately there was no rain, but the screened area did keep the flies away and we all had nice tables to sit at and big serving tables.
We worked with John and Susie Cross and the meal and Friday night was Oriental night. We decorated the pavillion and had sushi, egg drop soup, stir fry, cold noodles, and orange sherbert for dessert with fortune cookies. There were two pools very close to the camp site and several of the members had their grandchildren with them, who seemed to really like the pool, the crafts, and the playground.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Saturday Night PotluckSaturday Night Potluck
Saturday Night Potluck

Once again, wonderful food from all for all.
Glouchester Family CampgroundGlouchester Family Campground
Glouchester Family Campground

GREAT campground in Hayes, VA. Two pools close by, lots of shade, well stocked store, and quiet. This was our 3rd time here.
Oriental Theme dinnerOriental Theme dinner
Oriental Theme dinner

Trish setting up rice balls and preparing for the Friday night oriental dinner in August.
Oriental food displayOriental food display
Oriental food display

We brought our cookbooks and had Japanese almond cookies and fortune cookies for dessert.
Dining pavilion in case of rainDining pavilion in case of rain
Dining pavilion in case of rain

The campground let us use the covered, screened pavilion which was great. We hung lanterns for added effect.


Tot: 0.244s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0692s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb