A NEW BEGINNING


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Virginia » Fredericksburg
February 15th 2011
Published: February 15th 2011
Edit Blog Post

This is truly a new beginning. I have decided to retire (finally) and will be officially retired as of 26 March 2011. This is after 10 years teaching and 31 1/2 years working for the Federal Government. It has, for the most part, been wonderful. I've had great students (some of whom I still keep in touch with); worked with marvelous fellow teachers (most of whom have been retired for several years and we still stay in touch); been supervised by lousy, good, great and a few exceptional leaders; and shared coffee, laughs, and the ups and downs of assignments and change with some lousy, good, great and exceptional Federal employees. We've had the opportunity to move and live in a variety of locations: Ohio, NH, Pennsylvania, NY, Japan, DC, and Virginia. We've found good everywhere and suffered lousy in some, but survived.

The coming months will see significant change in our lives. For a start, we will be moving to Alabama and settling in there. But once in, settled (to some extent) and comfortable, we will pack up the RV and start traveling and seeing the sights we have always wanted. Originally we planned to full time RV, but have decided that having a "home base" and spending quality time in a few spots at a time and then returning to recharge and let the cats have more freedom had some advantages. Being in AL will put us further from John's parents and further from Kim, further from Trish's brother in NJ but much closer to Josh in FL and Trish's other brother in TN. We have nieces and nephews we have not see much of who will also be closer. So there is the bitter-sweet of moving again.

This is short and just a tease for more to come. Next week we go to Alabama to close on the house then over to Florida to see the Josh, Jen and Drew before returning to VA for the final 17 days of work. After the trip next week, I'll post pictures of the house and, of course, the grandson. I'll try to slip in pictures of Trish packing the house up in VA and then plan to use this forum to share our adventures settling in and then eventually traveling and seeing more of this country.

Hopefully in an upcoming trip we will get to stop where you are and visit for a bit. Looking foward to the NEW BEGINNING.

Advertisement



15th February 2011

Wonderful!!!
You can retire. I envy you. I want to retire but I have about 20 years to go or maybe more. You can do whatever you want every day. Oh, wonderful. I think it's good idea that you have a home base and go to trip whenever and whereever you want. I congratulate you on your starting good days.

Tot: 0.182s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0796s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb