Take a Hike: 5 Essentials for Hiking Trips


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Utah
September 10th 2013
Published: September 10th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Estimates from the federal government indicate just under 2 million people hike the Appalachian Trail every year. Whether you’re hiking this famed trail or a path that’s a little less traveled, don’t plan your journey without first considering all the logistics. Here are five tips for planning your next successful hiking trip.

5. Know the Area

Knowing the distance, landmarks, and topography is a critical first step to take in planning your hiking trip. You should also pack an accurate, detailed map. These important pieces of information inform your choice of gear and footwear. Assessing the difficulty of the trail lets you feel confident that you know what lies ahead, and reduces the chances that you’ll be caught off guard and unprepared. For example, research the area you’re going to hike and find out where there are hazards related to slippery rocks, precipitous heights, and gusty winds.

4. Check the Weather

Regardless of where in the world you’re hiking, don’t head to the trail until you check the local forecast. This helps you prepare and even make the tough decision to delay your hike. Don’t take the risk of starting if there’s potential for dangerously cold or hot temperatures, snow and ice, or lightening. Because even the best forecast is just a prediction, it’s wise to take rain gear because you never know when a pop-up shower could put a brief damper on your hike.

3. Consider Travel Details
Don’t get so obsessed with using your feet to cover miles on the trail that you forget the need for rental cars or shuttles to and from the airport. Flying into an area for a hike means you’ll need transportation from the airport to the trailhead. If you’re traveling across more than one time zone, book accommodations and give yourself a day after you arrive to adjust to the local time. Hiking while jet lagged means you’re not hiking under optimal conditions.

2. Pack the Basics

You won’t last long if you don’t have an adequate supply of drinking water. If you’re planning to hike more than a couple of hours or over multiple days, don’t risk running out of water. Take along supplies for purifying water from streams, lakes, and rivers. This could include equipment for starting a fire where you could boil water, chemical tablets, or a water purifying device such as a filter.

In addition, bring along extra food. You never know when an unexpected crisis may arise, such as bad weather, an injury, or trail closure. Other necessities include a waterproof fire starter supplies, a first aid kit, and flashlight with extra batteries.

1. Share Your Plans
Don’t go off on a hike without telling multiple people where you’re going and how long you’ll be gone. If you run into trouble and find yourself unable to get to safety, your absence may be the first thing that triggers an emergency response.

By thinking through your plans carefully, your hike is more likely to be safe, enjoyable, and memorable. What hard lessons have you learned about the importance of advanced planning for hiking trips?

Advertisement



Tot: 0.151s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0531s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb