6 Must-See Festivals from Around the World


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Tampa
October 9th 2013
Published: October 9th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Throughout history, it's been mankind has been compelled to hold festivals. In earlier days, most festivals were held based on religious origins. Others are inspired by various cultural factors. Some festivals exist to honor important historical events, and are held annually. These traditions are passed on through generations and inevitably change through time. Here's a quick synopsis of the top six festivals from around the world.

6. Dubai Shopping Festival, Dubai, United Arab Emirates (Jan. 2, 2014)




The 19th annual month-long Dubai Shopping Festival (DSF) is set to kick off January 2 of 2014. Plan to shop till you drop in one of the world's most stunning vacation destinations. The event attracts more than three million people each year to the area.

Of course, shopping is a key aspect of the festival, but there are many other attractions you can enjoy throughout the city. This Dubai nightlife infographic shows a world full of dancing and musical fun. Add to that world-renowned golfing and bright sunny beaches, and this festival doubles as the best vacation ever.

5. Reggae Sumfest, Montego Bay, Jamaica (July 13-19, 2014)




This music festival is held annually in the month of July. It's scheduled to begin July 13, 2014 and is anticipated to attract artists and fans from all over the world. Artists who have performed for Reggae Sumfest in the past include Stephen Marley, Sean Paul, The Mighty Diamonds, Toots & the Maytals, Beres Hammond, Tony Rebel, Andy Vernon, Frankie Paul, and Freddie McGregor, dancehall stars like Vybz Kartel, Popcaan, Tommy Lee Sparta, Beenie Man, Bounty Killer, Elephant Man, Capleton, and Lady Saw. International artists include 50 Cent, Rihanna, and Usher.

Festival attendees enjoy the dancing, music, and tropical setting of Montego Bay. If you're interested in reggae music, this festival is a can't miss.

4. The Day of the Dead, Mexico (Nov. 1 and 2)




El Dia de Los Muertos, or The Day of the Dead is a national Mexican holiday and it's celebrated throughout the world in Spanish cultures. Many people associate it with Halloween because it's similarly decorated and celebrated, but The Day of the Dead has more religious meaning.

Held in conjunction with the Catholic holidays of All Saints' Day and All Souls' Day, this festival is held in honor of loved ones who have died. People make shrines at cemeteries, and hold parades and gatherings in the homes of the deceased. The festival is culturally recognized by the presence of calavera, or sugar skulls, flowers, and skeletons used as decorations. Many people have their faces painted to resemble skulls and they don various cultural costumes. The Day of the Dead celebration started from the ancient belief that ancestors don't really die, they just go to Mictlan, which is a special resting place. This belief helps people to celebrate death as a wonderful part of life, rather than dread it as a tragedy.

3. Burning Man, Nevada, U.S.A. (Last Monday Before Labor Day)




This weeklong festival has been held annually in the Black Rock Desert in Northern Nevada since 1986. Actually it's not much of a festival at all. It's more of a city, demonstrated by the grounds being dubbed "Black Rock City." It starts the last Monday in August and ends on the first Monday in September, which coincides with the American Labor Day holiday. It comprises a hearty combination of music, free thinking, radical self-expression, and performance art. While it started as a modest gathering in the mid 80s, it now hosts more than 50,000 people each year.

It is characterized by the use of a bartering system, in which participants are encouraged to give gifts to each other, rather than to exchange money. Cash transactions are expressly not allowed between attendees at the event, except for select charities, as well as fuel and sanitation vendors.

The main attraction for the festival is burning of a large wooden effigy on Saturday evening. It was announced by festival founder Larry Harvey announced that the Burning Man organization had begun the process of becoming a non-profit organization titled "Burning Man Project."

2. Chinese New Year, Chinese Populations (Jan. 31, 2014)




Celebrated across most of Asia, the Chinese New Year is a 15-day festival that commemorates the change in seasons from winter to spring. It takes place after the traditional New Year celebrations. Often known as the Spring Festival, it was traditionally meant to honor deities and ancestors. It is celebrated in countries and territories that have significant chinese populations, such as Mainland China, Macau, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore, Thailand, Mauritus, Malaysia, Phillippines, and Indonesia.

The Chinese calendar is lunisolar, and dictates the dates of the Chinese New Year. The next one is set to be Jan. 31, 2014. Each day of the 15-day festival is marked by different traditions, the last of which being the most universally recognized. The Lantern Festival is held on this day, where families walk the streets carrying various lighted lanterns and dancing.

1. The Rio Carnival, Brazil (Feb. 28 - March 4, 2014)




The number one spot on this list goes to none other than the Rio Carnival in Brazil. It's celebrated before lent; 46 days before Easter each year. It's considered to be the largest carnival in the world, as more than two million people frequent the streets each day.

The carnival parade is identified by floats and adornments from the 200 samba schools, of which there are more than 200 in Rio. Samba schools are groups of neighbours with common backgrounds who wish to attend the carnival together. The schools are divided into five leagues, and each league creates a parade entry for competition. Set in the wonderous country of Brazil, a trip to the Rio Carnival will not soon be forgotten by many.

Whether you're interested in taking a trip to take part in one of these festivals, or you simply have a curious interest in them, there's not doubt about it that these festivals are some of the most interesting in the world. What festivals have you attended that you would have like to have seen here? Please share in the comments below.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.149s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0491s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb