3 Cultural Insults to be Careful of When You're Abroad


Advertisement
Published: August 6th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Believe it or not, some common things we do in America all the time deeply offend people overseas. That’s right. Some of our most engrained customs—things we don’t even think twice about, could cause a real rift between you and your new overseas hosts, if you are not careful. But never fear, those faux pas are all listed right here for your convenience.


Improper Touching of Body Parts









Image Via Flickr by goosmurf



In certain parts of the world, common parts of the body are off-limits. For instance, a pat on the head is insulting in Asian countries like Thailand. They revere the head as sacred and therefore don’t like tourists touching or patting it at all. In the Mid East countries of Dubai and the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, any touching of the body affectionately is a big no-no. Keep all PDA (public displays of affection) confined to the hotel room.


Offensive Gestures We Love to Give Everyday








Image Via Flickr by meddygarnet



You may not know this, but we Americans give each other offensive gestures all the time, at least they would be offensive in other parts of the world. In Greece, the American sign for “hello” (opening the hand with your palm facing out) is very offensive. In Fiji, it is an insult to shake someone’s hand. If you are in the Mid East, avoid shaking someone’s hand if they are of a different gender. You should also avoid giving the thumbs up sign. This is a crude gesture.



Also note that in the United Kingdom the peace sign is really offensive. In Brazil, our sign for “OK” (a circle with your forefinger and thumb, and three fingers extended) is like giving someone the middle finger in rush hour traffic.


Strange Cultural Food Habits to Leave at Home








Image Via Flickr by jimj944



When in the Mid East, avoid comparing food to pork, as pigs are unclean. The same is true of beef in India, but because the cow is sacred here. At home we always clean our dinner plates, but doing so is a big insult in Asia. Leaving food on the plate suggests you are full and satisfied by your host. If you want to make a good impression in Asia after a meal, don’t stifle your burps. A healthy belch serves as a resounding compliment to the cook.



On a much more serious note, if you eat in public during the Ramadan fast in Saudi Arabia you face the scorn of hungry locals, all of which go without food on this religious holiday. This is such a serious offense it can carry jail time. When in India, never eat with your left hand. It's considered a dirty practice because of their country's sanitation issues.



As you can probably see, cultural differences abound overseas. If this list has you worried, read up on your country beforehand. If you are traveling on celebrity cruise ships, or touristy areas, your hosts truly appreciate travelers and will forgive you if you aren’t aware of traditions and customs.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.148s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0421s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb