A stay at Hurricane......not in the hurricane


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Utah
September 14th 2008
Published: September 15th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Provo to Hurricane


We have again be blessed with another spectacular fine and sunny day.Our overnight stay at Sleep Inn lived up to its name and after a hearty breakfast we were on the road...the Interstate again !! Only his time it is Sunday morning and the road was very quiet.So set the Dodge at 70mph and we were away with miles spinning by quickly as we have a long way to go today and plenty to see.
We left the interstate at Nephi a dusty town in southern Utah looking for a WalMart as I lost my cap at Temple Square and expect the sun to get stronger as we head into desert country over the next few days.Nothing there was on way our down UT 28 a quiet road running paralel to the interstate for a while although gradually we headed more directly south and the interstate further west.The countryside was quiet green on the valley floor but the hills and mountains brown and barren looking.
As lunchtime approached we headed into a pretty canyon with a two lane bike track on the other side of the river that had had hot mix tarseal laid...what luxury for the bikers.Lunch was at The Big Rock Candy Mountain (now cant get that Burl Ives song outa my head ).The hills had unusual formations and some great photos and videos taken(we hope).
Pushed on towards our afternoon scenery event at Cedars Breaks Nat Monument which Gretchen had picked out as a sight to see.Top marks for choice cos this place is like a mini Grand Canyon but up close !! The afternoon sun made shadows and gave the place an erie feel.Suddenley realised what 2 miles high means,yes 10350ft above sea level and our breath was coming in little shorts pants !!!Hadnt realised we were quite that hig.Did a two mile return walk to an advantage point giving different views of the landscape.Quite an amazing place and another highlight for us.
Back in the car after a couple of hours and down the mountain past a controlled forest fire which had looked threatening when we approaced it.The drop to Cedar City was steady and finally the city emerged as we came out of a canyon.Decided to head for Hurricane as our overnight stay as the discount book had the cheapest rates.As we arrived into the town we noticed the billboard for Days Inn was even cheaper than our discount book.However not so when we arrived at the motel as the Indian gentlemen infrmed us that was for one person and another $10 for the extra person.So we dragged the voucher out and were still pleased with the rate to the xtent that we had dinner out at Ted and allens Sports bar...me a juicy sirlion and Ma had Atlantic fish fillets.
Another day of changing scenery and the highlight the spectacular Cedar Breaks a sight well worth seeing.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0333s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb